Compact GuardLogix Analog Input Problem

Bit_Bucket_07

My company is involved with the installation (no programming or panel construction on our part) of a Compact GuardLogix PLC system with Point Guard Safety IO, and only our two wire transmitters are working on our analog input modules. Our 4 wire transmitters are generating valid 4-20mA signals, but the channels show under-range on the module LEDs and the programmer is receiving no data from these channels.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be our problem?

Can you give some more information as to the part number of the analog input card, and the wiring arrangement of the working vs non-working ones?

Can you give some more information as to the part number of the analog input card, and the wiring arrangement of the working vs non-working ones?

Not from my hotel room. I'm really not even responsible for resolving this problem, I was simply hoping to be helpful, and also hoping that this was a common enough problem that it would be recognized by someone more familiar with GuardLogix systems.

I do know that they are 4 point safety analog input modules, and that each input channel connects via a horizontal row of 4 terminals. Among these 4 terminals, I am told that the top terminal is for voltage inputs. We have only 4-20 mA instruments, so these terminals have no connections. Second from the top is the analog input positive terminal, whether connected to a 2 wire or 4 wire transmitter. Third from the top is the analog input negative for 4 wire transmitters. These are the input connections that do not work. They consist of flame detectors and pyrometers. The bottom terminal is a 24 VDC terminal providing loop excitation for our 2 wire transmitters, which all function properly.

The programmer saw no faults for the 4 wire transmitter channels yesterday during check-out, but when we applied a flame last night, the module LEDs indicated under-range on all of these inputs, although putting an amp meter in series with the circuit indicated valid current loop values of correct polarity ranging as high as 19 mA.

Our 24 VDC PS which powers our 4 wire devices (as well as our discrete IO, which functions with no problems) was originally floating, and we tried connecting 0VDC to earth ground, with no change in status. We even attempted to connect a hand held, battery operated signal generator to terminals 2 & 3 on these channels, but still showed under-range on the LEDs and no data. We can move a 2 wire transmitter to channels that don't work with the 4 wire transmitter, and they function properly.

I'm stumped.

What is the entire rack layout? Are the EP24VDC and FPD modules involved?

I am not familiar with part numbers for this system. I do know that the processor assembly has no local IO, and that the remote IO chassis (connected via Ethernet) in the same cabinet has a PS in the first slot (slot 0?) and an additional PS installed ahead of the last few modules, which are all safety analog IO input modules.

The 1734 rack layout is important. Modules upstream of the modules in question can impact how these work. BTW, A-B 1734 analog modules are not safety rated, just regular non-safe.

What is the entire rack layout? Are the EP24VDC and FPD modules involved?

The 1734 rack layout is important. Modules upstream of the modules in question can impact how these work. BTW, A-B 1734 analog modules are not safety rated, just regular non-safe.

I only know that the labels on the front of the modules states that they are "Safety Analog Input" modules.

I was only responsible for terminating field devices on this system. Wish that I was more familiar with the system, but I don't really have experience with safety PLCs in general.

Simply, just think of a regular PLC but with a safety task and special safety instructions available to it. Safety tasks and safety I/O have a higher priority than the rest of the system and in the 1734 case, safety modules can be mixed with non-safe modules.

The 1734-IE4S is safety rated analog input module.

Check chapter 4 of the Point Guard user manual (1734-UM013-en-p) pages 66 to 71 for the wiring to the module.

Simply, just think of a regular PLC but with a safety task and special safety instructions available to it. Safety tasks and safety I/O have a higher priority than the rest of the system and in the 1734 case, safety modules can be mixed with non-safe modules.

It's not as if I don't know what a safety PLC is. I've been designing, building and programming PLC systems for over 35 years. It's just that I've never done a project that required a safety PLC, and so I have no hands on experience with them.

So, the problem magically disappeared this morning. Which is a polite way of saying that the programmer had a configuration error. Thanks for the input anyway!

Amazing what a good sleep will do for a programmer's observance skills ;)

Heh! True...

We've all been working 12 to 16 hour days for the past two weeks. I'm afraid I'm growing too old for this business, but it's rather late in the game for me to choose a new career path. ;)