Compactlogix 5069-L310ER overcapacity

mockranouse

I recently downloaded a program to a 5069-L310ER PLC with 374 free blocks. After working for about 1 week the Powerflex 755 VFD's started behaving erratically (not starting, spinning at low speeds, not stopping). I thought this may have to do with some parameters being setup wrong, but when I tried to change VFD parameters and match the drive in the PLC program I got an error that stated the PLC was overcapacity. I checked the capacity tab in controller properties and saw that it was over by 342 blocks. I was able to clear up some memory in the program and the PLC began working correctly.

What would cause the program to become overcapacity, but still be in run mode and not have any obvious fault? Are there any processes, like communications, that would use up available space in the PLC after the program is placed in run mode?

I am using Studio 5000 v32.01.00 and the firmware of the PLC is 32.012.

I tried to get an answer from AB regarding this and their response was:

"if there are many online edits done in the PLC. PLC may get full of catch data that can consume the free space."

I'm assuming this is the best answer I'm going to get from them, but it still doesn't make any sense to me. How could cache data from online edits push a controller over capacity if you can't make online edits that would use more free space than is available?

I also don't understand how an overcapacity controller doesn't throw a fault of some kind. This makes it very difficult to troubleshoot unpredictable behavior without having someone present who can connect to the controller and even then they would need to check the capacity tab in the controller properties to know that it is overcapacity.