Panelview Plus (700) erratic message update

James Fillmore

Lifetime Supporting Member
On older Panelviews and on TCP QuickPanels when using a SLC5/XX, a message box or indicator that is controlled by an integer is updated at the end of the PLC scan (or so it appeared).

Now with the PanelView Plus connected to a CompactLogix (via ethernet), the message box or indicator will display the status based on the last number put into the controlling integer but will ocassionally flash a message or status based on a number that was put in the integer earlier in the scan.

The real application is I have a message box that is controlled by an integer.
1 will display MANUAL MODE
2 will display AUTO MODE
3 will display AUTO CYCLE

So when in auto cycle I put a 3 into the controlling integer and the AUTO CYCLE message is displayed but occassionally, for a fraction of a second every second or two, the AUTO MODE message will be displayed because I am putting a 2 in the controlling integer earlier in the scan because the machine is in auto mode while in auto cycle.

I know I could interlock ALL the lines of code so only one line is putting a number in the integer at a time but I am displaying 50+ messages. What I would LIKE is that JUST the last integer in the scan does the control (I can prioritize the ladder logic for example, #3 AUTO CYCLE is after #2 AUTO MODE and so on).

I also know I can slow down the update rate of the display but I need a fast update for other indicators and numeric displays.

Any ideas? I've been programming for 20+ years but fairly new to CompactLogix.

James Fillmore said:
On older Panelviews and on TCP QuickPanels when using a SLC5/XX, a message box or indicator that is controlled by an integer is updated at the end of the PLC scan (or so it appeared).

Now with the PanelView Plus connected to a CompactLogix (via ethernet), the message box or indicator will display the status based on the last number put into the controlling integer but will ocassionally flash a message or status based on a number that was put in the integer earlier in the scan.

The real application is I have a message box that is controlled by an integer.
1 will display MANUAL MODE
2 will display AUTO MODE
3 will display AUTO CYCLE

So when in auto cycle I put a 3 into the controlling integer and the AUTO CYCLE message is displayed but occassionally, for a fraction of a second every second or two, the AUTO MODE message will be displayed because I am putting a 2 in the controlling integer earlier in the scan because the machine is in auto mode while in auto cycle.

I know I could interlock ALL the lines of code so only one line is putting a number in the integer at a time but I am displaying 50+ messages. What I would LIKE is that JUST the last integer in the scan does the control (I can prioritize the ladder logic for example, #3 AUTO CYCLE is after #2 AUTO MODE and so on).

I also know I can slow down the update rate of the display but I need a fast update for other indicators and numeric displays.

Any ideas? I've been programming for 20+ years but fairly new to CompactLogix.

Becuase the clgx/compactlogix updates data asynchronously, the values of a word can change several times through the scan.

At the end of the routine where your messages are, move the state into an word that is the image of the state. Have the PV+ use that as the status.

Thats RIGHT. UGH. I have hundreds of indicators with multiple states. I'll change them all to an array and then move the one array to the other.

Thanks for the reminder!