Remote IO Solution for Micrologix Platform

Hi all,

Has anyone had experience or success even with connecting some discrete remote IO to a Micrologix (1100 or 1400)?

From looking at documentation it appears Ethernet/IP is a non runner? Modbus perhaps?

In terms of IO I would have 2 nodes on network with approx 12 DIgital Inputs and 6 Digital Outputs.

Could anyone share there experience? Timing is not an issue at all. If I can read and write at 1 second intervals that would be more than sufficient. It must be however robust.

I would say it would be easy and probably just as cheap to put couple 1100 + IO cards to pick up the IO and that way it can stay Ethernet, Just my opinion.

DO you mean instead of having a remote IO rack have a Micrologix?

I don't like the idea of having 4 controllers on the network. Does your suggestion mean having a single Micrologix controlling the machine and the just messaging the rest for I/O or do you mean having 4 PLCs controlling?

He probably means use the other 1100 as remote I/O. Do a msg read or right to the I/O sand don't do any programming. I Have done this several times price per point is hard to beat.

Hi there,

Thanks for replies. Thats one option I can propose. Are there any alternatives with remote I/O? Any form of Ethernet/IP or Modbus supported?

Does the 11 or 1400 use modbus tcp? If so you have some options. The cost difference of the I/O vs PLC is usually cheaper to use the PLC on low count I/O.

Yeah that is what I meant - just wiring the Micrologix IO then messaging for the Input and output control.

I know the 1100 does not use Modbus TCP but the 1400 does but is limited. I tried that for a project to control some drives. I ended up just putting in a L23 and used that for the RIO and Drives on ENET.

That could be an option too if the money is there use a processor that is meant for Ethernet IO.

If it were a one off I would definitely use a CompactLogix. However there will be 55 of these machines so I really need to try and keep the hardware cost down.

Roughly what is the cost of a CompactLogix that supports Ethernet/IP (Point IO)?

If you have 55 machines I would go with a L32E which list cost is around $3K with PS and ECR and use point IO. They integration with 5000 and RIO you would make up for in the programming that you would have to do if you went with a 1100 and used modbus.

Unless programming is free then the Micrologix 1100 is around $500.

For 55 machines, the cost is going to add up. And, it might be risky to try something new, like a Click at each station connected to each other via Modbus, but the cost savings would be great.

Also, the initial investment in writing the modbus logic for the Micrologix should be time well spent, once developed.

The Compactlogix units are very nice, but still not cost competitive with the smaller brick plcs.

I would need to know details about the I/O count and performance of the machine before making the choice.

If it's simple and mostly discrete, I would seriously consider the Click. The one I have set up to teach my kids is incredibly easy to use and surprisingly capable.

The Compactlogix is superbly nimble and fast and powerful, but not cheap.

Paul

For 55 machines, the cost is going to add up. And, it might be risky to try something new, like a Click at each station connected to each other via Modbus, but the cost savings would be great.

Also, the initial investment in writing the modbus logic for the Micrologix should be time well spent, once developed.

The Compactlogix units are very nice, but still not cost competitive with the smaller brick plcs.

I would need to know details about the I/O count and performance of the machine before making the choice.

If it's simple and mostly discrete, I would seriously consider the Click. The one I have set up to teach my kids is incredibly easy to use and surprisingly capable.

The Compactlogix is superbly nimble and fast and powerful, but not cheap.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your input. I cannot use a CLick PLC. All the User interface stuff is developed in C#.NET using ASComm Ethernet/IP drivers. Changing from MicroLogix to Compact Logix requires some extra coding but using a new PLC is not a runner.

So the Modbus RTU option is acheiveable then?

The total IO count is about 120 approx (all digital). All the machine does is control opening and closing of doors. Its not at all time critical. I just want a good reliable system.

Thanks

Last edited:
So the Modbus RTU option is acheiveable then?

I can't answer that definitively, never having used Modbus with an A/B PLC. I have read posts by Bernie_Carlton regarding using Modbus with a Micrologix for VFD messaging, so that makes me believe it is possible.

In RSLogix500 with a ML1100 series B selected, both slave and master protocols are offered for channel 0.

I really hope there is a solution out there. It will save us a fortune on hardware.

There is a new CompactLogix range released now L1 16 & 18 which lists at €800. This could be an option if Micrologix dosent support it.

I'd really be interested to hear from someone who might have actually acomplished this.