1769-L32E connectivity issues

77nomad

Hello all,

I have a small issue that I'm sure is something I overlooked but I'm stumped so I'm hitting the old Interweb to ask for help.

On my test bench I have a SLC 5/05, L32E, and a MLX 1100. As a teaching tool for our maintenance department I set it up to have the SLC and MLX message the L32 over ethernet. When I tried to go online with the L32 over Ethernet, it wouldn't let me connect. I can see it in RSLinx, when I check Who Active it is visible there as well. I can connect of RS232 just fine and set my IP address that way but still no luck.

Even the messaging between the controllers is working. I have a timer running in the SLC and I'm Moving the ACC to the message register. I can watch the values change in the L32 when I'm connected via RS232 (the PLCs are still over Ethernet).

I can ping it. I can see it. But I can't go online over ethernet. Any pro tips???

Thanks in advance.

-Damon
Test 1.PNG

Test 2.PNG

Last edited:
You aren't selecting the processor (based on your screenshot). The software doesn't magically know which device on the network you want to connect to; you need to actually tell it what device you are trying to go online with. The relevant buttons won't be active if you don't have a valid device selected.

Drill down through the ethernet port and your Go Online button should become active when you have the actual processor selected.

In your image, you have not selected the PLC, but the network, so that explains that.

Sometimes there can be issues with AB_ETHIP driver, which you can usually work around with AB_ETH driver.
Difference is you need to manually enter the IP address. Try that.

Ok so I addressed the module in the tree instead of the controller. That's why you see me trying to connect to it. I can't drill down any farther. The controller just isn't there. L32ER is right in that area where I have little experience. Old SLCs are where I cut my teeth. Then time at an OEM where everything was new. This is just lost in the decade between.

But there was no way to enter IP on in the controller tabs. The only option I have is DF1. I just thought it was one of those random AB quirks that I never seem to avoid.

Last edited:
Ok so I addressed the module in the tree instead of the controller. That's why you see me trying to connect to it. I can't drill down any farther. The controller just isn't there.
Are you drilling down in RSLinx, or just in RSLogix? Back in my days dealing with it I recall having issues where the processor would not show up in Logix's Who Active until after I had expanded and seen it in RSLinx.

But there was no way to enter IP on in the controller tabs. The only option I have is DF1. I just thought it was one of those random AB quirks that I never seem to avoid.
In this particular line of controllers, the ethernet port is treated as a separate entity from the processor. You won't see the IP settings in the controller properties; you need to go to the Properties for the Ethernet Port in your backplane I/O configuration

L32ER is right in that area where I have little experience. Old SLCs are where I cut my teeth. Then time at an OEM where everything was new. This is just lost in the decades between.
I first learned in SLC as well, then on Controllogix. For a long time I had a single machine that used a L35E though, so I'm at least a little familiar with these painful little quirks.

Last edited:
What if you right click on "AB-ETHIP-2" and select remove. You might have to click on "Workstation" after that to get the driver to refresh.

You could also right click on the L32E and select upload EDS. I know it shows already but if I'm remembering correctly, there are actually 2 EDS files associated with those.

Are you drilling down in RSLinx, or just in RSLogix? Back in my days dealing with it I recall having issues where the processor would not show up in Logix's Who Active until after I had expanded and seen it in RSLinx.

In this particular line of controllers, the ethernet port is treated as a separate entity from the processor. You won't see the IP settings in the controller properties; you need to go to the Properties for the Ethernet Port in your backplane I/O configuration

I first learned in SLC as well, then on Controllogix. For a long time I had a single machine that used a L35E though, so I'm at least a little familiar with these painful little quirks.

Yep that's where I assigned the IP.
Test 3.PNG

I tried updating the EDS yesterday as well. RSLinx tells me I have a newer version installed then the one I can pull from the controller. I have also removed the node from RSLinx and let it reacquire with no luck. I even reflashed the controller to v20 yesterday. Wow what a nightmare over RS232. I bet that was a solid hour to complete.

Well there's something. I can drill down in Factory Talk Linx. I'm guessing the newer EDS I have installed is the issue.

I have installed the most current EDS for L32E's from Rockwell and still can't seem to get RSLinx to "see" the controller. It sees the port and the communications work between other PLCs but I can't drill down passed the port. Oddly I'm given the "+" to do so but nothing opens. The snip of my "Who Active" shows what I am talking about. Anyone have any other ideas besides uninstalling and reinstalling Linx?

Sure you don't have a duplicate IP address on the network? Can you isolate the connection from everything else?

This is just set up on a test bench. Completely disconnected from the network. I even went as far as deleting my Ethernet driver so that the 10.110.200.xxx network were the only devices found. That is the new IP scheme for the facility that hasn't even been deployed yet.

This is just set up on a test bench. Completely disconnected from the network. I even went as far as deleting my Ethernet driver so that the 10.110.200.xxx network were the only devices found. That is the new IP scheme for the facility that hasn't even been deployed yet.

Try restarting your ethernet adapter on your PC, I've had the issue in the past where I could ping a device no problem, but for some reason had to restart the adapter (disable/enable), and then reconfigure the ethernet driver to see it.

like someone else said. try using the ethernet driver and manually entering the IP so it can single it out.

Last edited: