1784-L84ES issues

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
This is a new processor (2021) sent it to a customer and they said they were having issues so I told them to send it back and I would take a look

It looks like they tried to flash it but something went wrong, see this video of it

I was going to try and re-flash it but now the comms will not work either, anyone seen this before?

Cycle power to unit: Assert in file S:/LNX/NetlinxUCS/NcsSrc/CommPorts/NcsLinkLayer.cpp Line 489

Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWbV7d-Sn5w

It the same with the card installed or without, this is also my only one or I thought of trying to make a card with the firmware and trying and boot it that way?

Anyone have any ideas? or is this now a $10,000 paperweight

Next I am going to try an enbt to see if I can go in that route but the USB is dead

KB BF21669, access level anyone

Cause, bent pin on backplane connector, send it in for repair.

Edit, I can't read, the wrong cpp file is implicated in the KB article.

dmroeder said:
Well it might not be

No I bent the pin back and its working perfect... not sure why they made the pins so small, it was one on the outside so it made it easy, I bent one on a EN2T in the middle and that was a pain

Contr_Conn said:
Long shot, but try Stage 2 reset described on the page 88 of this manual

Good to know, I will keep this one bookmarked

Thanks again
Mark

I have found that the best tool to lift bent pins is 0.7mm mechanical pencil with metal tip.
Specifically Pentel P207

Last edited:
Good trick... I have some small / long needle nose that work OK, the 1756 like a push in pin (as I am sure you know) so when it does get stuck it pushes inward so if you can grab it you can pull it back and reset it, that part was a good design, it would be a pain (a real pain) if broke the pins off

Easy... they are a thin wire and if you look at them wrong they bend, I have done it myself several times, if you are not perfectly square with inserting it in the rack it will or has a chance of bending

Why Rockwell won’t design the most expensive components’ physical interface to use pads rather than pins is beyond me.

Leave pins/springs to motherboards and backplanes.