OT: Process Equipment Tags, European?

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi folks,

I have encountered two different plants (Both having Siemens PCS-7 control systems) where the tags/symbols for the Equipment was different from what I'm used to, but they both used the same "standard". One had ties to Spain, and the other Germany.

Example:
Pump tags start with "GA", such as GA-100.
Mixers start with GD, ...GD-101
Reactors: DC-103
Tanks, some are FA, some are FB, not sure what the difference is.
FA-104 or FB-105

If anyone is familiar with these, can you point me to a reference for them?

I'm not, but is it possible that one is a closed (pressurised) tank and one is an open tank?

In the EU, the references of sensors and actuators should follow EN81346-2, unless you have a custom system which then must be documented.
In EN81346-2,
"GA" is for "Generating electrical energy powered by mechanical energy".
"FA" is for "Protecting object related to overvoltages".
"DC", "GD" does not exist.

The description of the tag names you listed does not match EN81346-2, so they must have a locally defined custom system.