Kinetix 5700

James Ross

Hi

I can connect to my 1756_L63B via Serial port, These modules are present on the chassis:

1756-ENBT/A
1756-M16SE
1756-CNB/D
1756-DNB
1756-M02AE

I assume for running a Kinetix 5700 of type 2198-D012-ERS3, a communication need to establish between 1756-ENBT and Kinetix 5700 (I have not DC BUS supply module along like 2198-P031 and using an external power supply). Is that right?

The last firmware possible on L63 is v 20.
The problem is that there is no kinetix 5700 in the database of RS5K V 20 when I trying to add new module under ENBT.

Is this due to the V 20 firmware, or Can be resolved by installing newer modules in the RS5K V 20?

Best Regards
James

I believe the first version of Studio to support Kinetix 5700 is Studio V26.Your L63 doesn't support V26.

I guess you would need either L73 or L83 then you need to confirm that modules are supported Studio ver.26

I'm pretty sure your 1756-ENBT does not support CIP for Kinetix so then you would need a 1756-EN2T or higher.

With that set of hardware, it sounds like you might be migrating from Kinetix 6000 on SERCOS fiber-optics to Kinetix 5700. Is that correct ?

The 2198-D012-ERS3 is a Kinetix 5700 servo drive that uses CIP Motion protocol over Ethernet to communicate with ControlLogix. So you need at least a CPU and Ethernet module that support the necessary devices and protocols.

The 1756-L6x controllers don't go further than v20 firmware, and the Kinetix 5700 starts at v26 (the current newest firmware for the ControlLogix family is v33). So as noted, you will need a 1756-L7x or 1756-L8x CPU. Both will support those older ControlNet and DeviceNet and EtherNet/IP (for the features it has now) modules, but will also support Kinetix CIP Motion.

The EtherNet/IP module also needs to be upgraded to one that supports CIP Motion. You need at least a 1756-EN2T, but could use a -EN3T or -EN4T as well.

That specific Kinetix 5700 with the "S3" suffix also supports moderately sophisticated safety features over the network if you are using a GuardLogix CPU. It still has ordinary Safe-Torque-Off hardwired safety features if you aren't using GuardLogix.

>using an external power supply

Review the Kinetix user manuals and application guides for the configuration of the DC bus power supplies. The usual arrangement for the Kinetix 5700 is of course the CIP Motion integrated bus power supplies (2198-Pxxx standard units and 2198-RPxx line regenerative units) which actually connect to CIP Motion and coordinate with the CPU. A few retrofits use older A-B 8720 series power supplies.

What sort of DC bus power supply does your system use ?

>1756-M16SE to kinetix 6000.

Both of them were designed and built more than 10 years ago, before CIP Motion over Ethernet was on the market. I have a bunch of those controllers and servos running with v16 firmware.

Fiber-optic SERCOS is functionally obsolete and Rockwell offers and recommends CIP Motion products now.

Ken Roach
Thanks
That was a bunch of information.
One question:
Is it possible in CIP motion to eliminate DC BUS supply with external DC and connect PLC directly to the 2198-D012-ERS3?
Asking this cause to buy a L7 or L8 PLC with EN2T gets me out of budget.

Ken Roach
Thanks
One question:
Is it possible in CIP motion to eliminate DC BUS supply with external DC and connect PLC directly to the 2198-D012-ERS3?

The Kinetix 5700 receives it's motion commands via Ethernet using the Common Industrial Protocol (CIP). The L7 and L8 controllers along with the EN2T are required to control that drive. There is no way around it.

AFAIK, you also must use the K5700 DC BUS supply, like the 2198-P031, it's part of the configuration when you add the drive to your project tree.

If you don't have the budget to change your controller and Ethernet modules, then you will have to find a different servo platform.

Ken Roach
Thanks
One question:

Since no one else has mentioned it, I thought I should point out that if you go with the L8 PLC, you don't need the EN2T. The L8 PLCs have a built in Ethernet port that is capable of CIP motion. That may help your budget at least a little.