OT: Overly Persistent Sales People

When someone is persistent to the point of annoying, I sign them up for a bunch of mailing lists.

:ROFLMAO:

I should try that too. I get continuous emails from both vendors (yes, Keyence is notoriously bad), and recruiters. I had a local recruiter recently send me 6 emails within a 2-week period!!

It should be simple - if you don't get a response back after the 2nd email/call, then the person is not interested.

It should be simple - if you don't get a response back after the 2nd email/call, then the person is not interested.

Do you seriously want to know how many emails I get saying this is the last attempt? And I keep getting them from the same sales departments. All Last Attempts.

Even replying STOP to a text message that says reply STOP if I don't want anymore gets another immediate text saying OK, but a week later more texts asking Are you sure?

What movie was that where you could push a button on your phone and the callers head imploded........

lol ))))))

It's actually odious to some extent. Not only do they continuously track and trigger sales contacts, they also track IP addresses and know which plant has what type of equipment demand.

They also have infrastructure to recreate a model of a plant in their database, divide it up into logical sales areas and make a listing of projects that have taken place, all based on sales calls. So they and their fellow sales people can feign familiarity. Data privacy should be taken seriously, and when I'm just looking to get a quote plain and simple and they ask me questions like "Do you have an application in mind" I just say "Yes" followed by silence. Eerie to go in the other directions.

It's actually odious to some extent. Not only do they continuously track and trigger sales contacts, they also track IP addresses and know which plant has what type of equipment demand.

They also have infrastructure to recreate a model of a plant in their database, divide it up into logical sales areas and make a listing of projects that have taken place, all based on sales calls. So they and their fellow sales people can feign familiarity. Data privacy should be taken seriously, and when I'm just looking to get a quote plain and simple and they ask me questions like "Do you have an application in mind" I just say "Yes" followed by silence. Eerie to go in the other directions.

I can appreciate that they use AI technology and data to locate and gauge sales opportunities. Most vendors do these days. Sometimes it is beneficial to me as a customer that they do this. I mean, there are, on occasion, when I do get a sales pitch for something that I could use or was, by coincidence, in the market for. Send me the email, or call, sure. But take a hint - if I don't email or respond back after the 2nd call/email, I'm not interested. A few 'problem' vendors of mine are - Progress Software, Keyence, National Instruments. In that order.

We are all salespeople
An old manager set me straight on that years ago
I had to take a sales course once because of this very issue from my manager; everyone is a salesperson. The concept was driven home by the teacher (the Sales Manager) by saying;

"If you think you don't have to know how to sell, go home to your wife tonight and demand to get laid because you deserve it..."

Earlier in the year, I received a series of 4 emails from a salesperson from an industrial camera company. These went to my work email. I don't use cameras, not sure where he got my name. I ignored each one, but each subsequent email seemed to express disappointment that I didn't respond. There was not an "unsubscribe" option, only to respond back. I feel I am under no obligation to respond to these emails. So now, another person from the same company has started doing the same thing. 2 emails so far. If I respond, it will be with a lecture about their sales practices. Any opinions?

FYI-I have nothing against sales people. My dad was one, and if someone cold-called(in person) at work, and if the product had any possible use in my facility, I would take the time to talk to them.
Set up your email client to just automatically move anything from that company into the Spam folder and never look at it or anything from them again.

But you have to give it to them: even in today’s logistically troubled times they never fail to deliver orders quickly. Never.

^^^ What dploof23 said ^^^

Seems like the vision people pester you more. Got some emails from LMI with the tone of disappointment in me. That's no way to treat a potential customer. After a few of those, they got the nasty gram...

It actually wasn't nasty, but more to the point of how disappointed I was in them... couldn't do what was required... sales said it could, actual tests had other results. No biggie.

Last edited:
Earlier in the year, I received a series of 4 emails from a salesperson from an industrial camera company. These went to my work email. I don't use cameras, not sure where he got my name. I ignored each one, but each subsequent email seemed to express disappointment that I didn't respond. There was not an "unsubscribe" option, only to respond back. I feel I am under no obligation to respond to these emails. So now, another person from the same company has started doing the same thing. 2 emails so far. If I respond, it will be with a lecture about their sales practices. Any opinions?

FYI-I have nothing against sales people. My dad was one, and if someone cold-called(in person) at work, and if the product had any possible use in my facility, I would take the time to talk to them.

I just responded to some like what with..

"Unsubscribe"

One reponded "This wasn't an automated Email.. I am looking to see if..(yap yap yap)

Reply again
"
UNSUBSCRIBE

Get it?
"

If he replied again id probably have just sent.. "STufF yoU".

Do you seriously want to know how many emails I get saying this is the last attempt? And I keep getting them from the same sales departments. All Last Attempts.

Even replying STOP to a text message that says reply STOP if I don't want anymore gets another immediate text saying OK, but a week later more texts asking Are you sure?

What movie was that where you could push a button on your phone and the callers head imploded........

Fifth Element had the Exploding Phone Booth for Zorg.

I hate that saying.

"Everybody is a salesman"

Well maybe yes but not everybody get's the commission do they?
I am a salesman as an entrepreneur, but as a programmer for an employer I'm not selling more than I need to keep me busy. I don't get commission from the sale so I would only want enough to fill up my week no more as to not be underwater while the salesman goes golfing with the money I made him.

And if you're not into cameras.....they just might hit you up for a printer!!

My boss and I were discussing which barcode readers we should standardize on. Sick's image based one is pretty good, I prefer Cognex Dataman. He whispered: Should we look at Keyence?

I made a quick move to look behind him, out his office window. He thought I saw a spider or something like that so it freaked him out. I said, no, I thought I saw the Keyence guy behind that bush outside of your window.