Oracle Virtual Box error after update

jstolaruk

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've been using Oracle's Virtual Box in Win10 with great success for my WinXp stuff until Oracle recommended a maintenance update to v6.1.28. After installing, none of my VMs would work without a general_error crash. Posters at VB forums experiencing the same were moving back to the previous release of v6.1.26. Before doing that, I installed the Extension Pack which gives additional support for USB2.0, USB3.0, amongst others. That took care of the VMs_not_able_to_run_problem. So if you have the same issue, try installing the Extension Pack first. YMMV.

All v6.1.28 downloads are here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

I've been using Oracle's Virtual Box in Win10 with great success for my WinXp stuff until Oracle recommended a maintenance update to v6.1.28. After installing, none of my VMs would work without a general_error crash. Posters at VB forums experiencing the same were moving back to the previous release of v6.1.26. Before doing that, I installed the Extension Pack which gives additional support for USB2.0, USB3.0, amongst others. That took care of the VMs_not_able_to_run_problem. So if you have the same issue, try installing the Extension Pack first. YMMV.

All v6.1.28 downloads are here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

This is the kind of thing that I tell people when they are like should I use VMware or VB. Well, VMware usually works (but the licensing is kind of a disaster when upgrading, do better VMware) and VB "works" but you need to have a lot of patience for it. Then the USB thing can get old after awhile (I had computers with both USB 2.0 and 3.0 and VB couldn't do both at the same time).

This is the kind of thing that I tell people when they are like should I use VMware or VB. Well, VMware usually works (but the licensing is kind of a disaster when upgrading, do better VMware) and VB "works" but you need to have a lot of patience for it. Then the USB thing can get old after awhile (I had computers with both USB 2.0 and 3.0 and VB couldn't do both at the same time).

I found VMware cryptic; it was several years ago so its probably better for the likes of me. I like VB because it handles the graphics the best IMO and I use it run AutoCAD 2002 in a WinXP VM. And a Win7 VM to run older versions of RSLogix/Studio and didn't have any issues. Tho I can't say I exercised the USB much. I'm not sure the USB was the problem with this latest upgrade but its working.

USB is always wonky in VB, you always need to install the extension pack. You need to upgrade the extension pack each time you upgrade VB, they are a separate license so they always have to be installed separate. You also need to upgrade the guest additions with each upgrade.

USB is always wonky in VB, you always need to install the extension pack. You need to upgrade the extension pack each time you upgrade VB, they are a separate license so they always have to be installed separate. You also need to upgrade the guest additions with each upgrade.
Thank you, good to know.