Pv 550

sposb

Is there a way to get to these screens on a panelview 550? The left + right arrows get me to a config screen but any idea how I can get to these programming screens?

999.png 998.png

Those are user created pages in the application. It looks like the pictures you posted are screen shots from Panelbuilder32 software. If that is the case, and you are allowed to share it, zip the *.pba file and post it as an attachment to a reply here and we can look deeper.

Welcome to PLCTalk!

Are you trying to get to the Proc #1,2 screens in the screen list selector in the top right? One of the function keys should put the focus on that box and then use the up/down keys to go to the process you want, then hit return.

That's assuming that's what you want and it's a screen list selector and not a control list selector

So this is the unit we are currently using and it's barely hanging on. I was told that when it was programmed we did it "manually at the controller." We didn't use Panelbuilder. I do have a copy of Panelbuilder which is where those screenshots came from. What I'd like to do is find those menus so that I can at least view and record the values that are there. I'm sorry if this isn't clear, I'm a little over my head on this. I'm sort of hoping someone will be able to say "press X Y and Z to get there." It doesn't accept any of the pcmcia cards we've tried and we tried all the cards that should work. RS232 doesn't work either. I know you're thinking I'm screwed... you'd be correct.

Those are user created pages in the application. It looks like the pictures you posted are screen shots from Panelbuilder32 software. If that is the case, and you are allowed to share it, zip the *.pba file and post it as an attachment to a reply here and we can look deeper.

Welcome to PLCTalk!

Here's the file that is in the machine. I don't think the actual values are in it though.

Search all over any computers and laptops you have for files of type *.pva and *.pba

Those are files created by Panelbuilder32 that may have been left behind or archived at some point.

EDIT: I see you DO have the files.

Post the complete catalog number of the HMI. Sometimes the RS232 port can be set up for use with programming software, but it is part number dependent.

We have a guy in OKC who we have used in the past to repair Panelview Standard HMI and 95% of the time he can do it without losing the existing application, so you get it back working like new with the program still intact.

The file may have "initial values" that can be written to the PLC at power up, but that is a feature that is not often used. We can at least determine the PLC addresses from that file and figure out how to retrieve their actual values in the PLC.

Last edited:
So this is the unit we are currently using and it's barely hanging on. I was told that when it was programmed we did it "manually at the controller." We didn't use Panelbuilder. I do have a copy of Panelbuilder which is where those screenshots came from. What I'd like to do is find those menus so that I can at least view and record the values that are there. I'm sorry if this isn't clear, I'm a little over my head on this. I'm sort of hoping someone will be able to say "press X Y and Z to get there." It doesn't accept any of the pcmcia cards we've tried and we tried all the cards that should work. RS232 doesn't work either. I know you're thinking I'm screwed... you'd be correct.

It sounds like you are looking for those particular screens so you can see the setpoints to record them?

A couple options:

1. Just search through the panelview until you find those screens. Nobody will be able to tell you how to find them exactly without having the program.

2. Any setpoints on those screens are likely tied to a tag that is going to a register in the PLC. Go online with the PLC, and assuming it's an Allen Bradley, you can view the registers there. Alternatively, save while online and select yes to upload the data tables to have a record of the setpoints currently in there.

It's talking to a single SLC processor via DH485. Do you have programming software for that PLC?

We do not. This was set up many moons ago and hasn't ever changed, and the unit is now failing. I'm trying to record as much as possible before it fails completely.

I am not seeing any screen control objects pointed at page 40. There is no screen control tag (so the PLC isn't doing it).

So maybe I overlooked it, but those pages appear to have been abandoned or intentionally isolated from end user access.

"Write to Controller on Startup" "Use Last Terminal States" is selected, so the initial values in the HMI program should not come into play.

If you have a means of connecting to the PLC with RSLogix 500 or even just RSLinx we should be able to find out the values that are in the PLC which should remain in the PLC even if the HMI croaks and is replaced.

I would recommend replacing that HMI with a Red Lion Graphite or CR series which can accomodate the DH485 protocol quite nicely. It should not take more than a day or two to build a conversion in Crimson from that PB32 file.

Last edited:
I would call your local AB representative. For the price of listening to a sales pitch to upgrade your failing system he/she can probably help you solve your current needs.

Last edited: