Allen bradley wireless connection - Cant see module in RS Linx

krisbi

Hi guys.

I am currently trying to connect to my GuardLogix L72S wireless.

On my rack there is an Ethernet bridge that is connected to the router. If I use Ethernet I can connect to my CPU through this module, but if I use wireless connection, I can ping this module but I can not see it, or anything on the rack, in RS Linx classic.

What could be the problem?

p.s.

I am using a virtual machine. On my host I use DHCP (and can ping module on the rack), and in VM I use static IP in the same subnet as module (and can ping module also, but can not see it in RS Linx).

Thanks for help.

Bye.

try this please and let us know the result:

host: static IP
vm: static IP

make sure both have gw set.

what rs linx driver you use?

try tcp/ip driver and see what happens

try this please and let us know the result:

host: static IP
vm: static IP

make sure both have gw set.

what rs linx driver you use?

try tcp/ip driver and see what happens

I tried also with static IP adresses on both host and VM. They also have gateway. And yes, I am using Ethernet/IP driver.

RSLinx uses some TCP/UDP ports for establishing communication with devices via ethernet. Are you sure that those ports are open in the wireless settings on your router?

TN769043 TCP/UDP Ports Used by Rockwell Automation Products (Access Level: Everyone):

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/769043/page/1

What do you get if you write the Ethernet module's IP address on your internet browser?

hi krisbi,

try 'Remote Devices via Linx Gateway' driver and not EtherNet /IP...see what happens

That's a very common oversight on the controller side, lizard.

If your controller has an IP address and a subnet mask, but an incorrect or blank Default Gateway value, it will be able to communicate on the local IP network but not through your router to the remote IP network.

Since you mentioned ports 2222 and 44818, I know you're using a Rockwell Automation controller and probably using RSLinx Classic software.

There are two Ethernet drivers in RSLinx Classic. The "Ethernet Devices" driver allows you to enter IP addresses into a table of controllers you want to communicate with.

The "EtherNet/IP" driver uses a broadcast message to find Rockwell controllers on the local subnet. That message will not go through a router.

Fortunately all devices supported by the "EtherNet/IP" driver are also supported by the extra-labor-step "Ethernet Devices" driver.

I found this.. will try it tomorrow on site

Tried setting up gateway in ETH module, and in communication settings.

Tried using different communication drivers in RS Linx.

Every time I cna ping it through command line, and can see diagnostic page in browser when I enter IP adress, but cant see the ethernet module and rack in RS Linx.

Anybody has any other ideas?

Thanks

Ok, we solved the problem.
The problem is that router allows unicast connection (so thats why I could ping module), but it prohibits multicast (RSLinx searching the subnet for modules). So, network guy set the router to allow multicast connection and now everything works.