RSWho will not run

russrmartin

Hey guys. I have a computer here thta is giving us a fit. We have tried running various versions of RS5000, and RS500. The applications open up, and will open files. But when we go to run RSWHO, Linx never opens up. Linx will open up by grabbing it from the menubar on the bottom, and I can see that it is talking various controllers. Anyone have an idea why 500 and or 5000 will not open up RSWho? I am not an administrator on this laptop. I can run this stuff fine on mine, so I was wondering if that may have anything to do with it. I was thinking no, since I can start and stop linx from the launch panel. Any ideas?

Russ
LInx version 2.41
5000 version 6.02,
500 version 5.50, if that helps at all.

yes and no

yes, they are both in Rockwell software, but there is also a folder for RSLinx which contains the launch panel and uninstall. Everything that is needed is contained in the Software folder. Is this other folder possibly hurting me?

If the error message says E3594 - FAILED TO CREATE EMPTY DOCUMENT ERROR

This is what I got from the Rockwell site:

Last Modified: 08/09/2000
Previously Released as #E720

General Category: s Communications and Network Products
Product(s): RSLinx
Catalog #:
Series / Revision: 2.0x
Symptoms (Keyphrases):
Problem:
Cause:
Verify:
Cure:
Prevention:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When starting the RSLinx 2.x software, a message stating "Failed to Create Empty Document" may appear.
This error message indicates that some components of RSLinx are not registered properly.

The simplest way to resolve this problem is to do the following:
1. Uninstall RSLinx
2. Uninstall Harmony via Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs (Rockwell Software Harmony Runtime)
3. Delete RSLinx directory (default location: C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLinx)
4. Delete Harmony directory (default location: C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon)
5. Run REGEDIT and delete the following keys (if they exist):
a. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>ROCKWELLSOFTWARE>HARMONY
b. HKEY_USERS>DEFAULT>SOFTWARE>ROCKWELLSOFTWARE>RSLINX
6. Reboot
7. Make sure no Rockwell Software applications are running
8. Reinstall RSLinx

If the above procedure does not resolve the problem, perform the following steps to determine which files are not registered properly:
You should check to see if RSLinx will start properly after each step.

1. Find the Harmony.RSH file on the affected computer and delete it. Reboot the system and launch RSLinx.
If the error message still appears shut down RSLinx. Access Windows Explorer and find the location of the REGSVR32.EXE file. Make a copy of this file and put the copy into the RSCommon subdirectory. Once this done perform Step 2.

2. Determine the location of the RSCommon subdirectory. In Windows NT 4.0 its path should be: \Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCOMMON. In Windows 95 the DOS path should be: \Progra~1\Rockwe~1\RSCommon. Go to the DOS prompt, making sure that you are at the root directory (i.e. C:\>) type in the path to gain access to the RSCommon subdirectory. At the DOS prompt run the following command: PKGINST -PACKAGE:HARMONY -REGSERVER. Minimize the DOS window and launch RSLinx.
If the error message still appears, shutdown RSLinx, maximize the DOS window and perform Step 3.

3. While still in the RSCommon subdirectory, at the DOS prompt run the following command: REGSVR32 RSWHO.OCX. Minimize the DOS window and launch RSLinx.
If the error message still appears, shutdown RSLinx, maximize the DOS window and perform Step 4.

4. While still in the RSCommon subdirectory, at the DOS prompt run the following commands:
REGSVR32 RSPROJ.DLL
REGSVR32 RSTOP.DLL
REGSVR32 RSREG.DLL
REGSVR32 RSDIRSRV.DLL
REGSVR32 RSTOPSRV.DLL
REGSVR32 RSNAV.DLL

5. While still in the RSCommon subdirectory, type the following command at the DOS prompt.
RSOBSERV -regserver
Please note that this will not display any messages if it is successful.

If any of the aforementioned DLL's does not register properly record the error message and report it to Rockwell Software's Communications Technical Support Group.

If no error messages appear, minimize the DOS window and launch RSLinx. If the original error message still appears shutdown RSLinx and close the DOS window. You may also want to check hard drive for corrupt files especially registry files.

If none of these solves the problem, please check the behaviour of the Harmony system tray icon:
a) Does it appear?
b) If so, does it stay on the system tray or does it disappear quickly?

HOPE THIS HELPS

hi guys
Any one knows about PLC fault mode
i have rs5000 software in that one input & 5-6 MOve commandsas output
& it has the contoller tagof long integer type to all move commands
can you sort out my problem

If you are running Windows XP, there may be a problem with RSLinx as a service.

Go to Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Services and try to start RSLinx from there; this way if there is a problem starting it as a Service - Windows will give you the error message: "There was a problem starting RSLinx.exe"

If you do get this message than you have to right click on RSLinx, select properties,
make sure startup type is MANUAL,
under LogOn check "Allow service to interact with desktop",
under Dependencies see that Harmony is listed.

It would help to check the properties of Harmony, they should be the same as RSLinx above.

I still remember what I had to go through to get RSLinx running on our 1st WinXP machine, and the others to follow weren't as easy as it should have been.

GOOD LUCK!
Greg

There were a few odd problems in 2.41, maybe you should download 2.42 and try that. It cleared up a couple problems I had. I did not have the problem you described though.

OG

Admin trouble

We have identified that the problems we were having are caused by not having administrative powers. When I log on as an administrator, I can hit the RSWHO tab, and linx immidiately comes up. However, when someone else logged on as a power user tries, linx will not initiate. Anyone have any ideas? The operating system is XP, and I know that another laptop with XP will allow us to open linx from RS500 without being an administrator. We did look under permissions, and it says everyone is allowed full control. This is all the farther I know to look.

Russ

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I'm going through a similar situation right now and I figured that responding to this old thread was the easiest way to let everyone know that I have already researched the subject to some extent.

Anyway, my old laptop suffered a fatal hard-drive hemorage two weeks ago and have since been supplied with a replacement (computer had been used for another controls guy previously, but I'm trying to set it up for me).

When I received this computer (HP/Compaq nc6000, Windows XP Pro Service Pack 1), it already had RSLogix 500 v5.50, RSLinx Lite v2.31 and Panelbuilder v3.71 - all of which were fully functional. I upgraded to Panelbuilder v3.81 (skipping the RSLinx install) and added RSLogix 5000 v13.03 (also skipping RSLinx), as well as some unrelated (non-Rockwell/AB) software.

After making the above software installs, RSLinx started doing some very strang things.
-RSLinx would not start at all (Harmony does start) if not set up as service
-RSLinx will run when started as service, but RSWho comes up with the "Failed to create empty document" error message.
-Attempting to use "System Comms" or "Who active - go online" from RSLogix will shut RSLogix down completely.

My first impression was that Linx was at too old of a version to work with the new software that I had installed, so I uninstalled v2.31 (without backing up 🙃 ) and installed v2.41. Unfortunately, v2.41 didn't work AT ALL 🔨 . At this point I decided that v2.31 seemed closer than v2.41 - so I uninstalled and reinstalled - with the exact same results.

I have since tried all of the steps discussed in post #4 above (I couldn't find the actual knowledgebase article) with no luck. One interesting note, DOS did not accept the PKKINST -PACKAGE:HARMONY -REGSERVER command as spelled out in step #2.

So (if anybody is still reading without dosing off) that is where I am stuck. I could next try going back to v2.41 and adding the hotfix referenced in another post http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=7581&highlight=RSLINX+EMPTY or downloading and installing latest and greatest (I'm actually in the middle of downloading v2.43 right now, but have to download 98 individual files because IT won't allow the Java download utility).

Anyway, I lurk on here all the time, but have only posted a few times, with good results. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :site: :geek:

Had a similar problem a few years ago now.
I'd personally suggest using a registry cleaner (try Regcleaner) to clear out all the old references to RSLinx from the windows registry. I know from past experience this can cause a few problems.
Then search for the 'Harmony' files and delete them.
Then install the latest version of RSLinx.

I have to admit that I hate RSLinx with a passion as I've spent far too much time messing with it to get it to work, but 2.43 is about the most stable version so hopefully that should help you.

Just finished the four hour process of downloading 98 individual files and installing v2.43. :confused: 🤾

So far, so good - I have been able to open RSWho, etc. (y)

Hi,
I also had this problem,
I installed XP + SP2 + rs500 & 5000 * rsviewme,
You must sort out the firewall & make all rs linx drivers startups manual.
If you wish to use say DH+ then go to rslinx & configure drivers & start it manually, if you wish to change to Ethernet then stop the DH+ & start Ethernet.
Good luck

Fix to Rslinx crash

Hello Guys,

i know this is a old thread but i'll share my experience.

I had several problems with rslinx lately. I tried different versions of Rslinx up to 3.60, but the problem is still the same.

My Problem is that sometimes Rxlinx crashed at startup, or it crashes at connecting to the PLC, or it doesnt recognize the PLC itself (even after restart).

What i did was stop rslinx, uninstall, reboot and then reinstall. Then it worked again.

Now i found a way that is easyer and faster.
Just stop Rslinx, stop the rslinx service and the harmony service. Then go to C:\...\Rockwell Software\RSCommon and delete the files "Harmony.rsh" and "Harmony.hrc".
Then everything works fine again (for me).

If someone have the same problems, try this before uninstalling, reinstalling.. and maybe share youre experience.

Best regards,
crawler009

If you have to this very often (like me), this batch does it:

net stop harmony /yes
del "C:\Program files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\Harmony.rsh"
del "C:\Program files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\Harmony.hrc"

Best regards,
crawler009