Cannot Connect to Point IO Ethernet Adapter 1734-AENT

emiller

I am currently setting up a work cell with a L30ER Compactlogix PLC and three Point IO sections. I set the IP address on the point IO using the scroll screen then added it to my Ethernet Driver in RSlinx and is comes up unrecognized decieve and unable to connect to device. I started a RSlogix 5000 application and added the modules under the ethernet section with their IP addresses and when i gone online it shows them as faulted. IN RSlinx it says the node IP address found for the point IOs. Not sure what to do. How does the L30ER contoll the point IOs am i supose to add something there?

Any Advice?

Welcome to the Forum !

You have the basic idea correct: set the IP address of the POINT adapter, then configure the adapter and its connected modules in RSLogix 5000.

So let's go verify that you have the IP address of the POINT adapters set correctly.

You referred to setting the IP address with "the scroll screen". Do you mean the three-digit pushwheel on the 1734-AENT ? Or the BOOTP/DHCP utility ?

Use basic device and IP troubleshooting first: is your controller on the same IP subnet as the 1734-AENT adapters ? Is your computer also on that subnet ?

I always use PING first, then try connecting using a web browser (just type the IP address of the device into the URL bar). If those work, then you can start trying to use RSLinx Classic.

The 1734-AENT is most simple to set up on the private 192.168.1.x subnet. All you have to do is set the three-digit pushwheel to a value between 1 and 254, and you're set.

Post more about the desired IP addresses for the CompactLogix and the POINT adapters, and what you've done to get them set for those addresses, and I'm sure folks can help get you started using them.

Thank you for the reply,

Yes I am refering to the PIN wheel.

My IP adresses are:
Computer: 192.168.50.2 with subnet mask 255.255.0.0
PLC: 192.168.50.101

Point I0:

I am runing all the wires to a netgear 24-port switch. I do not know what PING is or how to use it? I just typed to point io address into the internet explorer and nothing was returned.

I am fairly certant the cabling is good because i am using ethernet cables that worked on the other devices.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The problem is that the simple three-digit wheel configuration of the 1734-AENT uses a more restrictive subnet mask than the one used by your computer and the CompactLogix.

If you use the three-digit wheel method, the 1734-AENT is configured for what's called a "Class C private subnet" where the IP address is 192.168.1.xxx, and the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0, and the Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1.

This is the most common small private subnet; millions of home and industrial networks are set up just like that, so that's how Rockwell Automation made the simplified setup work. When you are using the 3-digit thumbwheel, the subnet mask and default gateway values cannot be changed.

In your case, what this means that the POINT adapters can only communicate with devices whose "network number" is "192.168.1". Your computer and PC are using a "network number" of "192.168".

So you're going to have to change the IP addresses, subnet mask, and default gateway values for the 1734-AENT modules.

The easy way to do this is by using the Rockwell "BOOTP/DHCP Server Utility" that is installed alongside RSLinx Classic.

When you open up the utility, go into the Network Settings and set up the Subnet Mask for 255.255.0.0, and set up the Default Gateway for 192.168.50.1 (or whatever it really is on your network).

You can find step-by-step directions on using the BOOTP/DHCP Server Utility (there's a decent Online Help, too).

The basic principle is that you'll set up the 1734-AENT's for "BOOTP/DHCP" mode, then plug them into the network one at a time and the utility will give them an IP address based on the correlation table you create. You'll want to write down the "MAC ID" hardware address for each one so you can create that table.

To get the 1734-AENT to use BOOTP/DHCP mode, set the 3-digit wheel to "888" and cycle power.

Once you have set up the 1734-AENT's with IP addresses in the 192.168.50.x range, they should appear in the RSLinx Classic "Ethernet Devices" driver browse (if you put them in the table) or automatically in the "EtherNet/IP" driver browse.

Very important: Once you've set up the module address using BOOTP/DHCP, you need to disable that feature and let the module use the address stored in memory. The general procedure is:

. set thumbwheel to 888 (this defaults the AENT and enables DHCP)
. Use bootp server to send address
. Disable BOOTP/DHCP in the module (using BOOTP server tool or right-click in RSLinx Classic and select Configure Module).
. switch power off from the adapter
. set thumbwheel to 999 (this fix on AENT the address you set)
. re-apply power

wow, Thank you for all the information!

I just turned the thumbwells to 888 and cycled power but they did not make a request in Bootp. I have the ethernet cable runing from the computer to the network switch and then from the network switch to the point io. Does this cable need to be direct? or go through the PLC? I am not sure why it is not making the request, on the network switch it shows both the computer and point io sending and receiving. Do i need a cross over cable?

When i cycle power to the Point IO after a small period of time the Module Status INdicator Light blinks Red. After looking it up it says complete firmware update. How would i do that?

You don't need a direct connection with a crossover cable, though doing so might eliminate any other possible malfunctions. In general, I do BOOTP/DCHP with just my computer and a local Ethernet switch.

BOOTP and DHCP can be blocked by firewalls; you can experiment by turning off the Windows firewall.

Another consideration; most enterprise networks include a BOOTP/DHCP server, which might be giving the 1734-AENT an address before the RA utility gets a chance to. Just disconnect the switch you're using between the POINT adapters and your PC from the plant network to be sure.

That blinking red light is probably actually indicating a duplicate IP address.

It might be easiest to simplify the connection to just one AENT and just your PC, either with a crossover cable or with everything else disconnected from the switch.

Thank you Ken!

I connected it together with a local switch and still the no connection. So i have been reading alot of the installation manuals all day and in the manuals it for the most part suggested using 999 instead of 888 so i tryed that and i have all three with their ip adress assigned and found in RSlinx.

Note* I tried running a line directly to the adaptes and it did not work. It had to run through the switch. I am not sure if a cross over cable would have solved this but because i found what works i did not try. Figure i will stick to what works lol

I couldnt have done it without you. I would still be staring at it wondering why it wasnt picking it up.

Thank you for all your help!