PLC EThernet SCADA Then to Office Intranet

skyfox

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can someone tell me how to or what is required to do this safely?

I.e

RS View SE server connected to PLC ethernet (Over 6000 tags). Have this data available to rest of the company on company's intranet.

2nd OPTION w/same question

Connect PLC ethernet to Company Intranet (6000+ tags to be monitored) on company PC' running Rsview Me station (~20 PC's with ME station liscences). How to protect the PLC internet and not have it crashed by Company Intranet?

Thanks and I am lost on this.

PS. Adding a second net card to PC's are not an option.

skyfox said:
Can someone tell me how to or what is required to do this safely?

I.e

RS View SE server connected to PLC ethernet (Over 6000 tags). Have this data available to rest of the company on company's intranet.

PS. Adding a second net card to PC's are not an option.

If your RSView SE Server is a stand alone you can upgrade your licence to a Server Client model type
Get Lots of help to get you thru security and set up issues,
Fit a second Net card in the server only, to get to the Company Intranet.
Read detail from Rockwell site for specifics.
Not an easy task but do able.

Gil47 said:
If your RSView SE Server is a stand alone you can upgrade your licence to a Server Client model type

Thx Gil47,

About RSView SE Server being a stand alone.....

What would be the purpose of this implementation? Does it mean it is only serving up data to it's local app's? Then it is not a server in a typical sense or is it? I thought the purpose of a server implementation was to serve out data/screens etc to clients. So in that sense, what would a standalone server accomplish or in other words, why have a standalone server? This Rockwell jargon is spinning my head again.

On to the 2nd Ethernet card on the Server (with clients). I like this idea much better but have no clue as to the mechanics involved here of transferring data from Controllogix CPU to RSview SE to 2nd ethernet card to Client PC's. I looked on AB's site (it's another mind boggling task in it self), but didn't find anything of use or any stuff in there that spoke to me clearly. Can someone provide some links to doc's etc.?

Thanks

It really depends on how the data needs to be made available. Do your office clients need to see the actual RSView screens or do they need access to data only. It is more typical for them to only need data.

I think Gil is assuming you need to serve up your HMI screens to all these office clients. If that is what you need to do then SE server/client architecture is a possible solution. Using 2 NIC cards as he mentions. I have also used the web server to provide HTML images of HMI graphics. This is a sound look only approach too.

If you need to make only data available then datalogging your tags to an office network SQL database is a better answer. There are several ways to do this. We use RSSql and Bizware to gather data and serve it up to our office folks. The office clients at our facility have absolutely NO direct access to our control network.

RSL

Thanks RSL,

Things getting to look a lot clearer....

My objective is to Provide HMI screens as well as data to the clients. Majority of the clients will be only allowed to look but cant touch anything. Several others (control engineers) need to have access to change parameters (Timing for sensors, motor speeds etc), as well as start/stop certain devices.

I am still confused as to the implementation of 2 nic cards. What needs to be done here. If 1 card is dedicated to the Control network, How would I Pass that data to the 2nd nic? Is this an settable option in Rsview SE Scada?

skyfox said:
Thanks RSL,

Things getting to look a lot clearer....

My objective is to Provide HMI screens as well as data to the clients. Majority of the clients will be only allowed to look but cant touch anything. Several others (control engineers) need to have access to change parameters (Timing for sensors, motor speeds etc), as well as start/stop certain devices.

I am still confused as to the implementation of 2 nic cards. What needs to be done here. If 1 card is dedicated to the Control network, How would I Pass that data to the 2nd nic? Is this an settable option in Rsview SE Scada?

With 2 Nic Cards The Computer does not care which door you enter from.
In LinX Enterprise it just needs to know to accept Comms from 2 addresses.
When a request comes it came with a return address inside the message so it knows to go back.
When searching Rockwell site for RSView SE try adding Factory Talk into the equation as Rockwell are doing some rebranding.

We use RSView32 on our site using RSView32 Webserver it calls a Graphics screen in the background takes a JPeg photo of it and serves it up to any web browser as a snapshot on any PC on the Company Intranet in seconds Its a read only graphics
This same option is somewhere in RSView SE maybe as an add on.

As for you wanting 2 or 3 other locations to read and write I believe RSView SE will talk to a limit of 3 other PC's thru terminal services from your server.

If you are finding Ethernet hard to get your head around as I did a year ago try this site. http://www.industrialethernetu.com/\
It helped me.

If you follow this up I can start asking you questions next month