AB SLC5/05 TO ABB PLC ethernet communications

llitz1

I need to program an Allen Bradley SLC5/05 processor to read and write data to/from an ABB (Alfa Laval) PLC.

Do I use the MSG (message) block or the EEM block in the SLC5/05?

Unfortunately at this time I do not know anything about the ABB PLC I have to communicate with, including model#. But hopefully there is a standard way to do this, as I cannot get that information for a few days.

I have tried the MSG block using mostly default settings but get no response from the ABB PLC. IF this is the correct block to use, how should it be set up?

If the EEM block is the way to go, how do I find out how to set it up?

I am trying to get this done by 2/11/08 to avoid a major travel expense. Please help.

llitz1 said:
I need to program an Allen Bradley SLC5/05 processor to read and write data to/from an ABB (Alfa Laval) PLC.

Do I use the MSG (message) block or the EEM block in the SLC5/05?

Unfortunately at this time I do not know anything about the ABB PLC I have to communicate with, including model#. But hopefully there is a standard way to do this, as I cannot get that information for a few days.

I have tried the MSG block using mostly default settings but get no response from the ABB PLC. IF this is the correct block to use, how should it be set up?

If the EEM block is the way to go, how do I find out how to set it up?

I am trying to get this done by 2/11/08 to avoid a major travel expense. Please help.

Because both plcs have ethernet does not mean they can talk. Analogy is the phone. You can a phone in Canada and a phone in China. You place a call to china and the other person anwers. You say hello, and they say @#$%. Becuase you are using the same phone and have a connection does not mean you talk the same language.

In the old days with PLCs, Modbus used to be the preferred common language among dissimalar plcs.

You may need to find a common protocol between the 2 PLCs ( such as Devicenet) and use that.

Last edited:
agree

Although I agree with you, I was told by an Alfa Laval person that they should be able to communicate, as the Alfa Laval PLC has numerous built-in protocols to be compatable with a multitude of PLCs.

I am hoping someone here has the answer.

Thanks

llitz1 said:
Although I agree with you, I was told by an Alfa Laval person that they should be able to communicate, as the Alfa Laval PLC has numerous built-in protocols to be compatable with a multitude of PLCs.

I am hoping someone here has the answer.

Thanks

Yes, such as DeviceNet , Profibus.

NEVER believe what a saleman tells you

llitz1 said:
This is the puzzling part. Why is it that you cannot call someone to tell you the model number of the PLC?

because

I just found out last minute on friday and nobody is around on weekend to call. I am trying to solve it before weekend is over.

llitz1 said:
I just found out last minute on friday and nobody is around on weekend to call. I am trying to solve it before weekend is over.

This is one of the reasons I hate doing jobs or changeover during a weekend. Eventhough the customer expects you, their client, to support them, how often does your supplier support you, their customer, over a weekend?

look at gateways http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/659

If the ABB supports modbus TCP/IP this may be one solution. But you will not be able to get your hands on one by the end of this weeknd I bet.

Last edited:
The SLC-5/05 Ethernet port supports three protocols: Allen-Bradley CSPv4, EtherNet/IP encapsulation of the A-B PCCC protocol, and the EtherNet/IP CIP object read/write protocol.

I don't think anything that ABB sells supports any of those protocols.

But the SLC platform can be equipped with modules that support other common automation protocols, including Profibus DP and Modbus RTU and Modbus/TCP.

I'll put my money on Modbus/TCP as the common application layer that accomplishes this interface.

Prosoft (www.psft.com) makes a large variety of third-party interface modules for the SLC-500 controller family. You might also look at the Digi One IAP (www.digi.com) for Rockwell EtherNet/IP to Modbus/TCP or Modbus RTU conversion.

ABB vs alfa laval

Is ABB and Alfa Laval one and the same as far as their plc's are concerned? I cannot find anything on Alfa Laval hardware anywhere.

llitz1 said:
Is ABB and Alfa Laval one and the same as far as their plc's are concerned? I cannot find anything on Alfa Laval hardware anywhere.

I believe one model of the Alfa/ABB plc uses FLEX I/O . We just finished a job in where the existing ABB plc was replaced with Contrologix, but the I/O remained as it was all flex.

Thanks!

I just want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread thus far. I now have much more information that I had previously and it will definitely help me next week. I will let you know how it turns out (btw this is for a wastewater treatment plant in Boulder, CO).

the saga continues!

It turns out that an ABB PP846 (which is like an AB panelview, but is called a Process Panel) is being used to communicate with my SLC5/05 plc, NOT an ABB PLC.

After going back and forth between ABB and AB, we all determined that this ABB device should be able to read and write any data it wants from my PLC. No programming should be needed in the PLC program.

After setting up their PP846 with the SLC505 ethernet driver properly, they were able to read any and all data from my PLC, but could not write!(which is what they need to do of course).

ABB called me back and told me this - and they cannot figure out how to write. They still think that maybe I have to do something in my SLC505 PLC to allow them to write. IF that is so I have no idea what that would be, and either do they!

Any ideas anyone???

If the PV is correctly using the protocol the only think I can think of in the PLC that would prevent it from writing is if the data files were protected. Right click on each of the data files, select properties, and make sure that no protection is selected.