OPC Server and Linx Gateway

kbradray

My network architecture is as follows: From my business network (desk) into a contrologix bridge ENBT (204.60.20.19 local to business network subnet) through the backplane and out another ENBT (192.165.2.100 local to my PLC network subnet) and out to the factory floor PLCs.

I have RSLinx Gateway as my OPC server. I purchased this with the intention of placing it on our business network for data logging, VB HMI building, and etc. What I have been able to do so far is to write VB code to create an OPC clent via RSLinx topic and store data in an Access Database every hour. The client side coding is no problem because I am using RSLinx as my server (bridge) from the PLC world to the PC world. My data logging computer is where the RSLinx Gateway resides. I leave the program I wrote for my OPC client as well as RSLinx up and running. When I tried to put my Linx on a network drive to be shared it would not work and RS tech connect told me that it had to be installed on the C drive of my logging computer. My question now becomes how do others share the OPC server portion of my RSLinx Gateway? I purchased Gateway with the intention of allowing multiple access points, but if I cannot install it on a shared drive then it is no better than RSLinx Pro or even classic. Any advice would be appreciated. Even another OPC server that I can use with VB6 would maybe help.

Ken

I think Rockwell support was incorrect. Any OPC client should be able to access RSLinx Gateway regardless of being local or remote.

My company's software works as an OPC client to RSLinx (among others), and we do this all the time.

How are you desginating the network location of RSLinx when you try to access it on the network? There may be somesecurity settings you can adjust on the RSLinx server to get this going.

Mike Atwell
[email protected]