Adding a temperature transmitter in RSLogix 5000 and on Panelview 1000

rengler

Hello everyone,

My name is Randy and I am an electrician/instrument tech. I have limited experience with PLC programming, and any experience I do have is with RS Logix 500.

I have been asked to add a temperature transmitter to a 1769-L33ER CompactLogix controller with a firmware revision of 20.12. The transmitter has a range of 0-600 degrees Celsius and an output of 4-20mA and it has been wired to an available spare analog input on the PLC.

No alarms or shutdowns are required but the customer would like the reading displayed on the Panelview 1000 HMI and would like it to be trendable.

I went to the site today and obtained a copy of the PLC program and the HMI program. I was able to open both but to be honest I am in a little over my head.

I know I need to add a tag to the project, map the analog input to that tag, scale the 4-20 mA signal to read 0-600 degrees, and create a display on the HMI that is connected to that tag, but I am not sure exactly how to accomplish this.

Would someone be willing to give me some direction on how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,
Randy

Additional Information

Ok let me get a little more specific with my question...

I am currently out at the site and have been able to connect to the CompactLogix unit.

I have found a spare channel that is already configured for use with a temperature transmitter but it has been removed from service in the program with an "always off" contact in the rung.

I have the "lite" version of RS Logix 5000 which I think may not be able to do online edits, but even when trying to edit offline, when I right click on the rung, the option to "Start Pending Rung Edits" is greyed out and I am unable to edit the rung to remove the "always off" contact. See attached screen shots.

What do I need to do to be able to edit this rung?

Thanks
Randy

Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

I may be wrong, but can you just click on the Always Off bit and hit the delete button? If you're offline (with normal Logix5000 anyways), you don't need to hit the start pending rung edits button, in my experience that's for making online edits.

Thanks for the reply, I just tried that and it doesn't seem to work, I highlighted the "always off" instruction and hit the delete button and the bit stays there.

The only thing I can think of would be that having the Lite edition of Logix5000 is stopping you from being able to make the change. What revision is the program? If you go to Help->About (I believe) it should tell you, something along the lines of 15.01 or something like that.

EDIT: Sorry, I see the revision is 20.12 in the title bar of the screenshot

Last edited:
Not quite sure what the lite version allows you to do/not do. I've never had it.

I can tell you, that you will not be able to open the subroutines, as only professional lets you open and edit function block

I am not familiar with your version of RSLogix, but have you tried to go online and right click on the "Always False" instruction ,then toggle it?

Check to see it's not being used elsewhere in your program. (unexpected results, if made true)

Last edited:
Okay, are you sure you have the Lite version? Looks like the lite version does almost everything, but you are limited to Compact Logix controllers. There are two other versions lower down, mini, and service. Mini allows ladder only, service is view only. You may have service.
What does it say under Help?

I ended up admitting defeat and they called in someone with the correct software to do the job. I'm fairly sure it was a limitation of the version of software that I was using.

noticed screen shots showed screen background as gray? I have seen that when software is not licensed.
We store our activation's on our FT activation server and "borrow" licenses to use remotely. When the license term expires you will get an error and the background changes to gray similar to the screen shots?

just a thought.