***Just for fun - Amazon Alexa***

leem2209

Lifetime Supporting Member
I received my Alexa Echo yesterday and I'm looking forward to automating the home.

But I wondered just what other amazing things I can do with it?

I saw a link to control a PLC via a bridge (but unable to watch the video - youtube is blocked in work... boooooo!) and would like to play about with that for reasons.... well none really, just for fun!

I’m running home assistant on Linux for my home automation. Works great with Alexa, can use her to turn on/off all connected devices.

I really enjoy my Alexa Echo.....sort of spoiled by it too.
I have all my lights are Phillips hue and are separated into rooms so I can just say turn on "Living Room lights" or turn on living room lights 50%.
I can ask for "Night Lights" and get selected lights turned on to 5%.
It is great to use for reminders. And... if you order from Amazon Prime, Alexa will notify you when the order arrives at the door.

I also have an Echo Dot in the bedroom and can control lights from there also.

****...I even have a Roomba i7, and it is hooked to my Alexa. So it is just saying Alexa... "Clean the floors" and the Roomba robot vacuum takes off.

Believe me.... you will have a fun time...
Any conversion factor you want is right there with just a question...

I could go on and on...

Last edited:
About the YouTube blocked -

Subscribe to a VPN (I use Private Internet Access, but there are many out there)

When your VPN is activated all the data you send and receive is encrypted garbage to a specific server you are connected to, and that server will get whatever video, or other webpage, for you and the company firewall won't see anything but a bunch of random data coming from the server.

If your monitor can't be seen by others that will complain.

I’m running home assistant on Linux for my home automation. Works great with Alexa, can use her to turn on/off all connected devices.

What does the Linux Home Automation enable you to do over and above the standard capabilities of Alexa and accessories?

I really enjoy my Alexa Echo.....sort of spoiled by it too.
I have all my lights are Phillips hue and are separated into rooms so I can just say turn on "Living Room lights" or turn on living room lights 50%.
I can ask for "Night Lights" and get selected lights turned on to 5%.
It is great to use for reminders. And... if you order from Amazon Prime, Alexa will notify you when the order arrives at the door.

I also have an Echo Dot in the bedroom and can control lights from there also.

****...I even have a Roomba i7, and it is hooked to my Alexa. So it is just saying Alexa... "Clean the floors" and the Roomba robot vacuum takes off.

Believe me.... you will have a fun time...
Any conversion factor you want is right there with just a question...

I could go on and on...

Possibilities are endless!

I'm looking forward to getting all my lights on the system. Most lights will be operated by smart light switches (as we have lots of ceiling lights in the house per room, would cost a fortune to replace them all with Hue lamps!)

Bedroom, Living room, Dining room lamps will all have hues eventually to help set the mood. I've some LED strip lamps and curtain LED lamps which I'll connect to a smart switch and I have control of everything just from voice, set the mood, etc!

Heating will be added eventually.

I'm really interested in trying to manufacture something that is capable of driving a simple roller blind. I could easily use a Siemens logo PLC or something like that as the controller. Then work out how to get alexa to tell it what to do (could wire in smart switches to the inputs I suppose...?)

The Microsoft Store has an Alexa app for Windows 10 that lets you control all your Alexa devices from any PC. Also, I have Alexa on my android phone and (as long as I am connected to WiFi anywhere) I can tell Alexa to control lights and report my thermostat readings and change the thermostat. I have shown people this by telling Alexa to turn on my master bedroom light and within seconds I get an alert from my home security system that motion was detected (the light came on) in the master bedroom.

About the YouTube blocked -

Subscribe to a VPN (I use Private Internet Access, but there are many out there)

When your VPN is activated all the data you send and receive is encrypted garbage to a specific server you are connected to, and that server will get whatever video, or other webpage, for you and the company firewall won't see anything but a bunch of random data coming from the server.

If your monitor can't be seen by others that will complain.

Don't even have internet access now!

I should just stick to my mini PG and tether to my phone. No restrictions! Just need to not be seen!

Isn't this the same as what u guys use Alexa for https://www.nexiahome.com/

There's lots of companies that have their own home automation systems. The great thing about Alexa is that she can connect to different systems around the house and integrate them into her services. (as long as alexa compatible)

My smart sockets have their own app and I can switch them on/off and setup routines and automation through that as well as using Siri to tell it what to do. But thats only for the sockets and any other products of the same brand.

Connect it to Alexa and I can now have better voice recognition, utilise alexa's skills to control these devices and other devices at the same time.

So, for example, when I wake up I can say "Alexa, play my morning routine". Alexa will tell me something interesting about "on this day", tell me what's in my diary and to-do list for the day, tell me how traffic is to work then play me a song of my choice whilst turning the heating down, bring the hue lamps on in the bedroom to 10% and turning on the downstairs lamps and the kettle via the smart sockets.

The Microsoft Store has an Alexa app for Windows 10 that lets you control all your Alexa devices from any PC. Also, I have Alexa on my android phone and (as long as I am connected to WiFi anywhere) I can tell Alexa to control lights and report my thermostat readings and change the thermostat. I have shown people this by telling Alexa to turn on my master bedroom light and within seconds I get an alert from my home security system that motion was detected (the light came on) in the master bedroom.

I didn't know about the windows app! Noted, tjanks!

There's lots of companies that have their own home automation systems. The great thing about Alexa is that she can connect to different systems around the house and integrate them into her services. (as long as alexa compatible)

My smart sockets have their own app and I can switch them on/off and setup routines and automation through that as well as using Siri to tell it what to do. But thats only for the sockets and any other products of the same brand.

Connect it to Alexa and I can now have better voice recognition, utilise alexa's skills to control these devices and other devices at the same time.

So, for example, when I wake up I can say "Alexa, play my morning routine". Alexa will tell me something interesting about "on this day", tell me what's in my diary and to-do list for the day, tell me how traffic is to work then play me a song of my choice whilst turning the heating down, bring the hue lamps on in the bedroom to 10% and turning on the downstairs lamps and the kettle via the smart sockets.

Sounds like living in the world of the Jetsons. Do you notice some strange suggestions from Amazon or others when it comes to adverts and what not?

Sounds like living in the world of the Jetsons. Do you notice some strange suggestions from Amazon or others when it comes to adverts and what not?

Actually there is a video on YouTube showing the responses of Alexa to certain questions.

The unusual one is when Alexa is asked if she works for the Homeland Security, then if she works for the government - at that point she refuses to answer the question.

Actually there is a video on YouTube showing the responses of Alexa to certain questions.

The unusual one is when Alexa is asked if she works for the Homeland Security, then if she works for the government - at that point she refuses to answer the question.

I’ll be trying this one later!