"CIP Data Read" MSG Help...

JoseM

Guys,

I need help configuring an MSG on a ControlLogix processor. I'm using a "CIP Data Table Read" message type.

I'm not sure how to setup the "Communication" for the MSG instruction.

I'm posting some pictures that shows the config settings I'm using but for the path I don't think is correct.

I also posted a picture of the RSLinx "RSWHO" highligthing the two processors that need to share this information.

CLX MSG.PNG CLX MSG_02.PNG CLX_MSG_03.jpg

The remote processor is connected via ethernet to module # 4 on the CLX rack you see on the picture and it is a 1756-ENET/A.

The remote processor is connected via ethernet to module # 4 on the CLX rack you see on the picture and it is a 1756-ENET/A.

If that is the case, try removing the 1 from the front of your path, and see how that works. Also, have a look at Page 185 of the Instruction Reference Link in my previous Post.

Stu....

The Path looks perfectly OK to me....

Port, Dest, Port, Dest,etc.

1,4 = Backplane, slot 4

2,191.16.115.151 = Front Port (ethernet), IP address

1,0 = Backplane, slot 0 (always slot 0 for a CompactLogix)

If I try this path, you think it could work

1, 4, 191.16.115.xxx, 1, 1

The module on the local CLX that contains the MSG instruction where the cat5e connections is made is the one on slot 4 on the picture.

So, the logix 5562 communication has to travel through the "Backplane", and then out of module on slot 4.

The remote compactlogix PLC that I need to contact is located on the IP address 191.16.115.xxx.

I'm with daba, the path is ok as I can see from your screenshot...

I've not understood if you've troubles or just asking before doing it... if you've troubles, did you get errors in the message ?

I can see an error in the pictures you posted, but it isn't a "true" one I guess, as you were trying something and the indicated error seems not to match with the entered path...

Please post more details on the request you've...

- fuzzy logic

Last edited:
usually what I do is to create a link to the CPU to message to in the I/O tree, the in the communications path, browse to the CPU. This eliminates path mistakes when typing in slot, port etc....

ScreenHunter_02 Jun. 21 07.15.jpg ScreenHunter_03 Jun. 21 07.15.jpg ScreenHunter_04 Jun. 21 07.15.jpg

Can you explain how to create the link to the remote processor, so when you click the "Browse" button you could drill down to it.

The screen shots show what the link short cuts are set up currently on the CLX I'm implementing the MSG instruction.

PS:

I read that in order for the device to show on the drop down list it has to have a name. How can I add a name to the module on slot #4, so I can continue drilling down to the remote processor.

CLX_MSG_04.PNG CLX_MSG_06.jpg

Last edited:
Fuzzy Logic,

I'm getting the error you see on this screen shot. What I'm trying to do is to make sure I get the MSG instruction correct.

In order to communicate with the remote PLC, I have to add a subroutine to the program and I haven't being given the opportunity to do that yet.

Hopefully this weekend I will be able to "Download" the modify program and test the MSG instruction functionality.

CLX_MSG_05.PNG

Can you explain how to create the link to the remote processor, so when you click the "Browse" button you could drill down to it.

The screen shots show what the link short cuts are set up currently on the CLX I'm implementing the MSG instruction.

PS:

I read that in order for the device to show on the drop down list it has to have a name. How can I add a name to the module on slot #4, so I can continue drilling down to the remote processor.

have you ever done produced/consumed tags ? the connection setup is the same , except you are not binding any tags to the connection.

When you set up the connection to the remote chassis, It becomes available in the Browse of the MSG instruction

curlyandshemp,

Sorry to say but I don't think I've done "produced/consumed tag" on a Logix5000 processor.

Last edited:
Jose:

The Following is what I found for possible causes of your Error.

Possible Causes:​
1 . The message path. For example, when messaging to a CompactLogix processor. If you don't put a 1,0 at the end of the path. The error means you are getting to something partially valid, but not complete. Make sure the path is pointed to the correct IP address of the controller you want to message from or to.
2. The Source Tag for the read or write is wrong. The text in the message tags does not match the actual tag. The Source Tag is referenced as an array element, i.e. Tag[0] but it is actually a single element or vice versa. Make sure you are creating the tags in the same controller that the message path is pointed at.
3. The Source Tag is Program Scoped. It needs to be a Controller Scoped Tag.

If your Communications Path is ok, which seems to be the consensus. Then having the Read Tag entered incorrectly, or the Tag Program Scoped seems to be the most likely causes.

Stu....