RSLinx: Panelview shows up as Unrecognized Device

njf11

Hello Everyone,

I am having trouble downloading an application to a Panelview Plus 1250. My PC is connected to an unmanaged switch via ethernet. The switch is connected to the Panelview and the PLC that the Panelview will be communicating with. The IP address of my PC is 10.203.98.227. The panelview address is 10.203.98.75. I am able to connect to the PLC and ping the panelview with no problems. When I try to see the panelview in RSLinx Classic, it shows up as a yellow question mark (no red x) followed by "10.203.98.75, Unrecognized Device, PanelView Plus_6 1250". RSLinx Enterprise shows the same thing only without the "Unrecognized Device" text. I also installed the EDS file for this model Panelview and I still get the same thing.

Any Ideas?

If Linx Classic shows it as a yellow ?, it doesn't have the correct EDS file for it. But why do you need it to show up in Linx Classic anyway? All the comms are done through Linx Enterprise. Two different programs.

RSLinx Classic doesn't really do anything with the PanelView Plus except show it in a browse. It ought to display the proper icon, especially if you installed the correct EDS file, but that's immaterial.

The only important thing is how RSLinx Enterprise works with the terminal. Only RSLinx Enterprise is used for upload, download, and communications between the terminal and the controllers.

RSLinx Enterprise actually doesn't use EDS files like Classic does. All product identity and support information is hard-coded into the software and you frequently need to upgrade RSLinx Enterprise to support new major revisions of the PanelView Plus.

So that leads us to the usual compatibility questions: what revision of firmware is in the PV+ terminal, what version of FactoryTalk View Studio are you running, and (if you can determine it) what version of RSLinx Enterprise ?

As Ken said, RSLinx Classic should display the PanelView Icon correctly. There is more than one PanelView Plus 1250 EDS. Are you sure you have installed the correct one?

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/resources/eds/

You can also try deleting the RSLinx Harmony Files as described by Mickey here.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=298434&postcount=2

I can't help you too much with the RSLinx Enterprise. Answer Ken's questions and follow his advice, he is the Guru when it comes to AB Communications issues.

Stu....

But forget RSLinx Classic and deleting Harmony files. RSLinx Enterprise is what is used for uploading and downloading. It's like trying to open your car door by making your dog bark. One has nothing to do with the other. Although the possibilities are interesting.

OG

Sorry to take so long to get back to everyone on this. First let me say that I know RSLinx classic has nothing to do with it. I was just trying to give you as much information as I could.

I think I have the answer I'm looking for. The version of FactoryTalk View Studio I am running is CPR 9 SR 2 which is 5.10. My panelview has ME station version 6.0.4.16. Also the version of RSLinx enterprise on the panelview is 5.30 and I believe that the one on my PC is 5.20 which comes in the CPR 9 SR 2 package. Looks like my options are to upgrade to CPR 9 SR 3 or buy an older panelview.

Thanks for the help everyone! (y)