You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old October 17th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Tim Ganz
United States

AB Power Flex 755 HIM CopyCat

When using HIM Copy Cat on a AB PF 755 Drive does it download Parameters as well as firmware?

Example if I have a major rev 10 drive running in my process and it dies and what we have on the shelf is the same part number but a major rev 7 since it's been on the shelf for a while when I install it can I just put the HIM in the new drive and perform a HIM Copy Cat and then I am running or do I have to flash the drive to major firmware rev 10 before it will work?
Old October 17th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #2
Geospark
Lifetime Supporting Member
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ganz
When using HIM Copy Cat on a AB PF 755 Drive does it download Parameters as well as firmware?...
I think you meant those two words the other way around?

..."does it download firmware as well as Parameters?"...

Parameter set uploading/downloading being CopyCat's primary function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ganz
...or do I have to flash the drive to major firmware rev 10 before it will work?
Quick answer, yes.

The HIM CopyCat feature is only for storing and reloading parameter sets, and has nothing to do with Firmware updates, I'm afraid.

If you have a device mismatch, such as firmware revision, device type, or device series, then a parameter set download will not work. If it's a case of a firmware revision mismatch, then yes, you will have to update the firmware of the replacement drive to the same major revision as the original drive, before attempting the parameter set download.

Regards,
George
Old October 17th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #3
BinderNut
United States

I'm not sure if it's applicable to the 755 but it does work with the 700s and 4/40/400 family VFDs...
If you have Drive Executive software and the proper comm cable, you can usually force a parameter download through a firmware version mismatch. You do need to check to see if there were any parameter changes manually though. I've never noticed any yet but I better throw that warning out.
When that doesn't work, we just have two instances of DE open. One with the old parameter set backup and the other onlilne with the new drive. We transfer the parameters manually in this case.
We run into this fairly frequently in our plant but our main problem is upgrading forward to newer firmware revs instead of backwards like you are wondering.

Otherwise, geospark is right. You can't do a HIM Copycat if the firmware doesn't match.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum