PLC Training Board

What do you need help with ?

Is this for a general purpose training rig, or for a specific application ?

What processor ?

What I/O ?

Yes I know that one is available. I am looking for something on a stand you will place in front of a class for vocational students. Probably with output to real components like actuators etc.

I would put plugs on all "devices" and have the female end of the plugs cabinet mounted so that you can change inputs and outputs for various devices and let students play around. I would also consider putting a toggle switch on each plug to open the circuit to simulate troubleshooting and help practice tracing circuits out with a meter.

I need someone to guide me through building an rslogix 1000 training board. Please let me know if you are willing?

You most certainly need to describe your goals in more detail.

My training "rig" has an auxiliary multi-pin connector to which I can attach various "real-world" simulated devices. Within the 16 In/16 Out limitation of my modules, it is easy to create simulated I/O related to my clients' applications.

One of my favorite pieces of training kit is a fully functional "dumb waiter", for which I have "conveniently" forgotten the I/O. I give it the trainees to determine which Inputs and Outputs do what, and when they have played enough to know what does what, I get them to create a program for it. It serves me well, and a twist on the typical "lift" scenario....

For ideas, here's our toy box. Looks ugly, but comes in handy!
Excuse the mess...

It's a simple steel frame on casters with UHMW sheeting for backplane and desktop(AKA junk catcher). We've mounted several used and leftover bits of hardware on it related to stuff we have in our plant. Some PLC hardware, some networking and Devicenet stuff, some pneumatic, a couple VFDs, and an old PV+.

A lot of the PLC hardware has an issue (bad output on a card, random memory loss processor, etc) so it's a little bit of troubleshooting by itself until you get to know which pieces have tricks up their sleeves. Every now and then one of us will throw a little intentional sabotage in the logic or wiring for some troubleshooting too.

We mainly built it for getting new guys familiar with our equipment without them knocking out a PLC that's keeping the plant running but we've used it to prototype a few small in-house projects too. Cost was minimal since it was all destined for the dumpster anyways.

20171112_082343.jpg 20171112_082402.jpg 20171112_082507.jpg

Here's an Automation Direct trainer I built for a 4th grade class career day. The kids loved it. Pegboard works good. Run the wires through the back. Attach whatever devices you want to play with and have at it. Have since used it at work to test some applications for small projects.

IMG_1102.JPG

It was a career day at the elementary school where my grandson goes. I was asked to give a presentation on what I do in Mnaufacturing. I couldn't say no. It was my grandson.

It was a career day at the elementary school where my grandson goes. I was asked to give a presentation on what I do in Mnaufacturing. I couldn't say no. It was my grandson.

Dont stop.... next :) http://www.mfgday.com/

tbankole, Try Jim's idea with some 80/20 strut and some and peg board, then in a more advanced class you can have them wire it up, we are going to offer a build your own kit soon with it