Connect PC to PLC with ethernet

Badgeke

Hi,

I am fairly new here. I've looked up a lot of topics here, and found quite some solutions to problems I had with my PLC. But this is my first actual post here...

However simple the problem is I'm having now, I can't seem to find a solution. I normally connect to the PLC through MPI, but now I want to establish a connection through ethernet. I got a CP343-1 Advanced module (343 - 1GX21) to do so.

I tried to make a connection by configuring it with NetPro, but it doesn't seem to work.

Could someone explane me how I can configure Step7 to connect to the PLC through Ethernet. And do I have to disconnect my MPI-cable to do so?

Thanks in advance,
Badgeke

The PC needs to be in the same domain as the PLC. That is if for example the PLC Ethernet card has the address 10.12.133.45 then the PC needs to have its IP address set in the properties to also be in the '10.12.133.' domain, by finishing off the address with a spare address.

This is the simple one I get quite often when I try to connect forgetting to change the PC address.

After that try pinging the PLC.

If you connect directly to the PLC be sure to use an ethernet cross-cable.
Change the PC/PG settings in Step7 manager to TCP/IP.
Make sure the IP-address of both devices are in the same range: e.g. 10.1.1.1 for the PC and 10.1.1.2 for the PLC.
Use the same sub-net mask.

NetPro has nothing to do with it. Only if you need to use routing do you have to use NetPro.

1st, verify that you have STEP7 BASIS v5.2 or better.

2nd, set the S7ONLINE access point to TCP/IP (not ISO).

3rd, check that the CP343-1 has been assigned an IP address.
If you have downloaded a HW config via MPI, and the IP address is set in the HW config, then you dont have to do more.
You can also download a HW config to a fresh new PLC by means of the MAC address that is printed on the CP343-1.

4th, go online as normal. You can leave the MPI cable attached, it does not interfere.

edit: The comments by PeterW and Garcia are also good.

Last edited:
thanks for the quick answers.

The problem was that I didn't had set the S7ONLINE access point to use TCP/IP, and that the program automaticly used the wrong IP-address for the computer (the program took an IP-address one higher than the IP-address of the PLC instead of the real IP-address of the PC).

Now, it works :)

Thanks.
I think I'll stick around on this forum. It's good being here :)

Greetz,
Badgeke