I keep getting a fail on install:
################################
RSLogix 5000 Installation Summary
Installation failed.
Required components failed to install.
Install failed (1)
Name
Version

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86)
v14.0.24215.1
Not installed (2)
Name
Version

RSLogix 5000
v20.05.00 (CPR 9 SR 10)
V20 Controller/Motion Firmware Kit

########################
Is it saying that the Visual C++ is missing?

First uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86).
Then run the installer for RS Logix 5000 Ver20.04 again.

OT: holy cow

I have run into this before, ...

OT

Holy cow.

I am a newbie to PLCs, but programming my ML100 testbed has been easy. Big deal, who cares, because this kind of thing right here, where Mispeld gives an answer, probably from memory, within 10 minutes of the problem being posted, is where the real work gets done.

Oh dear; I barely have the words.

The breadth of obscure knowledge by which one gets by in this industry just blows me away.

"within 10 minutes of the problem being posted"

My question is, what took sooooo long?

I know there's always at least one in the crowd. :)

You're gonna want to read that tech note Mispeld linked. It has 10 possible causes and 9 different solutions. I thought there was a facepalm emoji here...

I apologize for not reading and following that before. I did the fix of fixing 2017 verision and that allowed the RSLogix to get through install.

Thanks all

I apologize for not reading and following that before. I did the fix of fixing 2017 verision and that allowed the RSLogix to get through install.

Thanks all

To be clear, I was in no way trying to give you any grief, the facepalm was regarding the fact that there are 10 different reasons the same error comes up and 9 different solutions that people have to experiment with.

The breadth of obscure knowledge by which one gets by in this industry just blows me away.

I was working on a project with a programmer from Siemen's and he mentioned that every time something is presenting a problem in almost all shops the first person they go to is the PLC programmer, because we have to know about every aspect of the operation and machinery we are working on while (for example) a chemical engineer only deals with the chemicals and mostly knows nothing about pumps, sprayers, filtering, or anything the line does with his chemicals.

EDIT: When he said this the shop owner came to us with a problem on another line other than the one we were working on, and a completely different type of line, but we were the chosen ones.

Last edited:
I was working on a project with a programmer from Siemen's and he mentioned that every time something is presenting a problem in almost all shops the first person they go to is the PLC programmer, because we have to know about every aspect of the operation and machinery we are working on while (for example) a chemical engineer only deals with the chemicals and mostly knows nothing about pumps, sprayers, filtering, or anything the line does with his chemicals.

Have found this to be quite true.