Siemens new HMI Unified

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I'm curious if someone knows if the new HMI Unified will replace the Comfort panels? They are priced rather similar and I think I've read somewhere that Windows CE will stop being supported, and the comfort panel run on Windows CE I think?

I can buy the unified HMI but I can't figure out what WinCC version I need to have, the Siemens selection tool doesn't include the new HMIs

Also if you have insights or experience with the new HMI please feel free to share

/Tim

Tim,

1) Yes, the WinCC Unified will replace the Comfort panels. The new name will be WinCC Unified Comfort for their HMI. The 'traditional' Comfort HMI will enter P.M 400 in 2021 or 2022 if I remember correctly.

2) Thank god Windows CE is disappearing. I don't remember exactly what it ended up in.. Either it was Windows 10 IoT or a self develop Linux Variant.

3) If you have a SUS contract in V16 you should have got WinCC Unified. Unfortunately, this installation is not straight forward if you install it on your computer as it will require you to open some ports (if they are not already open) for simulating the HMI. The HMI shall now be treated as a web application, it runs on HTML5.

We started an evaluation project 3 months ago using the WinCC Unified in our Lab. We have tested it against Beckhoff and Siemens systems. We are running it as a Soft HMI in an IPC.

There will be some fun new licenses to get to know now as well. Since this is basically a SCADA lite you have the option to add on different goodies to your system.

This will be your Basis Options:
1) Logging / Archiving (File-Based). This will be a standard solution for small applications without a database.
2) Parameter Control, integrated management of recipes.
3) Audit (>V16)
4) Diagnosis (>V16)
5) Remote Client
6) Industrial data bridge (>V16)

This will be your SCADA Options.
1) Logging /Archiving (Database)
2) Redundancy (>V16)
3) Central Logging (>V16)

This will be your Plant options:
1) Calander (Shift and resource planning)
2) Performance Insight (Flexible KPI management within control center)
3) Sequence execution system (Standardized control of batch processes)
4) Line coordination system (Manage production lines and trace products quality)

Please note this information was given to me in February this year by my Friend at Siemens. It might have changed or been corrected since then,

//V

It is correct the the Unified Panels will replace the Comfort Panels, and that the reason is the discontinuation of Windows CE.
The Unified Panels runs on a Linux distribution.

However, Siemens hasn't announced when they change the Comfort Panel status to fase-out (meaning, can be purchased for another 10 years but prices will increase significantly), so there is no urgent need to switch to the Unified Panels.

What I hear is that it is not smooth sailing. Software is buggy, and features that we have in the Comfort Panels are missing.
So in my company we shall definitely wait a couple of years before even thinking about switching.

Eventually, yes, but they have not discussed a date for when the comfort panels are gone. The new Unified panels were only released a few weeks ago, I think.

My understanding is that the older generation of panels (OP/TP/MP 177/277/377/etc) had to go FAST when the Comfort line came out because suppliers suddenly stopped making parts. I've heard of no such urgency for the Comfort line (although, as has been mentioned, ditching Windows CE is certainly an encouragement.

I played around with it some. It's very V1. There are a lot of features from the existing WinCC Platforms that aren't supported (yet). It really is a whole new platform, whereas the Comfort line was just an upgrade of the WinCC Flexible stuff. V16 Update 1 was basically all Unified related bugfixes, and I haven't seen any crashes since. The Javascript programming is decent (although the editor needs a lot of work), and almost EVERYTHING is programmable, just like in the SCADA packages. Very flexible and powerful.

The migration from Comfort/Advanced (or existing SCADA) to Unified will be messy, unfortunately. New scripting language, new runtime, new screen objects.

The key is that it brings SCADA power all the way down to the standalone HMI level. I'll enjoy using it at some point, but I'm in no hurry to switch from Comfort panels.

I’m just waiting for someone to complain about the color change and why...

If you read the RTM thread you will get it :)

Thanks alot for the insights into this new HMI.

I was thinking that I could migrate pretty easy from basic/comfort to the unified, but if it's messy and very early stage (like TIA 10.5 ... ) I will definetely wait. The Unified panels are coming in a very good price range a bit below the comfort, and since we mainly use Basic panels and sometimes comfort, I saw an advantage of migrating every HMI to the unified. But then again the Unified aren't available in outdoor versions either yet.

And also why the color change?

Thanks alot for the insights into this new HMI.

I was thinking that I could migrate pretty easy from basic/comfort to the unified, but if it's messy and very early stage (like TIA 10.5 ... ) I will definetely wait. The Unified panels are coming in a very good price range a bit below the comfort, and since we mainly use Basic panels and sometimes comfort, I saw an advantage of migrating every HMI to the unified. But then again the Unified aren't available in outdoor versions either yet.

And also why the color change?

Way better than 10.5.

When I say it's early stage, I mean that in the sense that it qualifies as Minimum Viable Product from a marketing perspective, but it doesn't do everything I need it to yet. The engineering software definitely needs polish, but it works OK if the runtime meets your needs (at least since update 1).

Way better than 10.5.

When I say it's early stage, I mean that in the sense that it qualifies as Minimum Viable Product from a marketing perspective, but it doesn't do everything I need it to yet. The engineering software definitely needs polish, but it works OK if the runtime meets your needs (at least since update 1).

Thanks, I guess that I can try it in WinCC and see if I get along with it. Since we only need basic panel I would suspect that the basic functionality of it is ready to use.