RSLogix5000 Data to IA DB

Bob O

What's the best practice for storing data in a RSLogix5000 PLC and then logging it to a IA DB? I want to accumulate data if the DB isn't available and when it becomes available, start transferring the data automatically.

Thanks

Note this is for a loss of link between Ignition and the DB.

If you want to hold data for a link loss between PLC and Ignition, then you can either store it in the PLC e.g. FIFO buffer or use an IA product on the local PLC network such as Ignition Edge.

Personally I would do the latter. Rather than having to look at the data in the PLC, compare to DB, see what exists and what doesn't, and add only what doesn't.

Depends on how much data we are talking about (how long the link is down).

Standard Edge can store up to 1 week's data or 10M rows of data, whichever may come first.

Add MQTT to Edge and it removes the 10M record limit.

Good luck FIFO'ing =>10M points in a PLC and ensuring when it does re-connect that there are no points missed or duplicated, and timestamps are synchronised correctly.

Depends on how much data we are talking about (how long the link is down).

Standard Edge can store up to 1 week's data or 10M rows of data, whichever may come first.

Add MQTT to Edge and it removes the 10M record limit.

Good luck FIFO'ing =>10M points in a PLC and ensuring when it does re-connect that there are no points missed or duplicated, and timestamps are synchronised correctly.

I always laugh at responses like this. Of course in your example you couldn't buffer that much data in the PLC. Why is your link down for that long? If the link between PLC and edge is severed, you are screwed as well. Come on dude!!

LAN connection:
1. PLC
2. Edge NUC
3. Cellular router.

Cellular link to SCADA which is an 8-hour drive from SCADA site.

Laugh all you want, no skin off my nose.

If the link between PLC and edge is severed

This is where Groov Epic comes in.

But doesn't resolve the WAN issue. For that you use a dual-SIM Router, with a remote accessible IP, PCN (Private Cellular Network), etc.

This sounds mor like an application for a telemetry style communication. Something like DNP3. Prosoft make a DNP3 slave card for the control and compact logix. Ladder code then transfer data from CPU to DNP3 card via backplane. Your SCADA is then DNP3 master and communicates to the DNP3 slave card not the logix CPU. In the event of Comms loss between SCADA and DNP3 slave the card will buffer data with time stamps then transfer that when Comms is restored.

To better explain, we first need to know your application. That makes a huge difference. Here is an example on something I did a while ago. A sorting application, which meant the data was very important. It wasn't that high speed, and we weren't talking tons of data. Each sort was pushed into a FIFO with time stamp. PLC time synced to Ignition server. In a perfect world, the data would enter the FIFO and then immediately get pushed to SQL via transaction group. If something was broken, the data would sit there until able to send again. The sorting system would stop if the buffer got close to full, that ensured no data loss. But, that's just one example. As stated earlier, a ton of data and this would not be your best avenue.

We don't know the exact OP's requirements.

Me and Phrog just slightly derailed the thread with options, and a horses for courses discussion.

This forum has a high throughput of activity.

Lot's of people read here, and the discussion we had may enlighten and thus help someone else.

For this, I offer no apology.

Derailments are fine in this case. :)

This question was more for me mostly playing around killing time on a Sunday morning. But, I will us it when I test/trial out a Keyence IV2 vision sensor in the next couple weeks to track the tool and inspection results.

Thanks all and stay safe!