Automation Fair Chicago 2019

I'll be there. I usually pop in to see what's new when it's in Chicago since I'm based in West Michigan and our local vendor has a free shuttle bus.

Bummer about them not allowing kids though. I was hoping to take my daughter next time just to get some exposure to industry and automation. She's a bit young now but in a few years she might be able to handle the trip.

I am here in Chicago.
Actually saw Tim and family today (except Michael), hope to see him too tomorrow. PM if you wan to meet.

Ok. So what’s new from Automation Fair? Anything interesting?
Probably the big thing technology wise that caught my attention was the virtual reality and augmented reality products. I'm not completely sold on the need for the virtual reality but I see the augmented reality coming and being useful. Some examples they showed was being able to look at a motor and press a button then be able to see the specs of the motor, description, wiring circuit,etc. Then you could look around and the disconnect associated with it would be highlighted.

Of course Michael presenting at Perspectives before Automation Fair was a highlight for Amber and me. He didn't win but he did an outstanding job along with the other two contestants. You can see there presentations at the link below.
https://www.facebook.com/ROKAutomation/videos/2559171684201477/

But probably the big surprise was seeing the softer side of Rockwell. From things such as the You Make It Challenge that Michael was in to signs like this one and learning about products and services they donate to non profit organizations to help them do more good in the world.

aIMG_20191119_083517.jpg

Last edited:
I was watching Michael presenting and met Tim's family there. Great job.
Tim did not mention, but he also got some views behind the scenes on what it takes to pull technical even with 20,000 people. He saw lab station preparations and how labs were presented.
Here are some views from above on what it takes to provide lunch for 20,000 visitors.

IMG_3417.JPG IMG_3418.JPG IMG_3419.JPG

Last edited:
Contr_Conn is correct, there is still no faster way to get up to speed on a product than one of the hands on labs at Automation Fair. And the lunch serving lines amaze me every year. There is no waiting with 20,000 people.

Kendall Electric is providing a re-cap of the Automation Fair, if you missed it. I did.

It will be regional time/date specific by location in their territory.

These are the KCL's they have most months, are free, and have pretty darn good food!

If your in Kendall's region, might want to check it out.

It won't be like the real thing, but they do have good food.

Thinking back, I was not a fan of the over-dressed Italian Subs tho. That needed some work. LOL

Last edited: