FactoryTalk Linx Browser vs RSLinx

RSLinx is the communications driver that RSLogix5/500/5000 and Studio 5000 uses to communicate to PLC's

FactoryTalk Linx is the communication driver the PanelViews use to communicate to PLC's.

FactoryTalk Linx used to be called RSLinx Enterprise, it was recently renamed to FactoryTalk Linx.

When I open FT Linx Browser on my HMI PC though it shows the PLCs connected on the network though, not just HMIs and PanelViews.

Correct. The driver's job is to talk to PLC's. It needs to be able to find and communicate to PLC's. The only purpose of discovering HMI's is to be able to download applications to them.

The reason I am asking is because I am setting up a remote station that will have Studio 5000 which will contain Logix Designer and FT View Studio and talk over a VPN (e Won). The FT View Studio will just be used to create projects and transfer them to an operator FT View SE HMI (using VNC Viewer). The Logix Designer will be used to obviously program the PLCs on the line. So in my scenario I would just need RSLinx right?

Last edited:
Oh right, I did see your other thread.

You are probably over thinking it. When installing FactoryTalk and Studio5000, everything that each software needs will be installed. I don't use SE, but if it needs FTLinx, it will install it.

In your case, RSLinx will be the only communication driver that will be used since you are only connecting to PLC's through the 3WON.

FactoryTalk Linx (formerly RSLinx Enterprise) is used for HMIs and some other Rockwell software, like Historian SE, to communicate with processors and grab data from processors.

RSlinx is a completely different software used to connect PLC development and programming software to devices. They are two completely different applications that do two different things, but Rockwell thought it would be funny to give them the same name to help confuse everyone.