RSLogix 5000 Tags Truncating

MarkNightingale

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi All,

I have a small problem which is really bugging me. It's not causing any serious issues, only reading tags.

Say I have a tag Process_Check.Additive_A_Tank2_Delivery_Unavail. One 1 P.C I am using the tag comes up as it should do.

On a different P.C the tag will truncate so will look like the following Process_Check.Additive_A_........vail

Like I say not causing any major problems, just a readability thing.

I have looked through all of the options in RSLogix but cant find a setting that is different between the 2 PC's.

Hope someone has seen this issue and has a fix.

Cheers

Mark

OK, I knew I had seen that too. It depends on the version of RSLogix5000 if you have this option or not. Here is where you find it on version 19 at least:

On the top menu bar, chose Tools > Options...
In the "catagories" tree, pick Ladder Editor > Display.
Now you should see a checkbox called "operand formatting".
If you check it, you can choose how to truncate long tags.
Your example is "center" truncated.

I generally set mine to "full" (same as unchecked).
The truncated format is useful to get your rung to display better if it is extending off the screen or wrapping like mad due to long tag names.

When you are in the ladder editor window, there may be a toolbar with these options too.

I did not find this option when I had a version 13 file loaded.

Last edited:
I always recommend running with default settings, Colours, Fonts, Toolbar layouts etc.

And there is a way to start RSLogix5000 and restore everything back to "factory defaults", but I must be having a senior moment and can't remember how to achieve it :oops:

I've tried searching for the method as well, but not having much luck, so to save time (and to prevent me pulling out what little hair I have left), I'm going to leave it to someone who remembers how to do this to pop in.....

I thought it was holding down the CTRL key while starting RSLogix5000, but I've tried that and it didn't work.. :unsure:

Daba:

I didn't want you to lose all your hair, so I did some searching.:ROFLMAO:

Apparently, you hold down the Left Control and Left Shift Keys down together. Then start RSLogix5000, and keep holding them down until after the Splash Screen disappears.

Stu....

Last edited:
Resurrecting this because v32 is annoyingly RIGHT aligning tag names when `Wrap` is selected. All the `Truncate` modes are CENTER aligned, as is turning off formatting for the `Full` mode. Don't know why they would decide to change to right align for wrap mode or why alignment isn't a user set option. I think I would prefer left align for everything honestly (tag name, alias, and description).

This is extra weird because when it actually does wrap the tag name, it just right aligns the extra letters making it look like when a kid doesn't leave enough room to write a word and just smushes the extra letters down the edge of the page. They could at least throw in some smarts to make it break at a capitalization change to uppercase, underscore, or period if one of those exists instead of doing this:

ModuleName.Status.MyStatusBi
t

But right aligned

OK, I knew I had seen that too. It depends on the version of RSLogix5000 if you have this option or not. Here is where you find it on version 19 at least:

On the top menu bar, chose Tools > Options...
In the "catagories" tree, pick Ladder Editor > Display.
Now you should see a checkbox called "operand formatting".
If you check it, you can choose how to truncate long tags.
Your example is "center" truncated.

I generally set mine to "full" (same as unchecked).
The truncated format is useful to get your rung to display better if it is extending off the screen or wrapping like mad due to long tag names.

When you are in the ladder editor window, there may be a toolbar with these options too.

I did not find this option when I had a version 13 file loaded.

Awesome!!!