First Post - Simple Timer Question

ProgRambo

Hi all. Stumbled upon this site during a few PLC beginner searches and it looks like a great community.

I have a simple beginner question about a timer. The timer exercise in question is at
http://*************************.co...-programming-training_5042.html#axzz4VHj4EwSA

The problem states that the indicator light should turn on immediately and turn off after a 5 second delay by the switch. But lower down after the diagram, the description states that when X1 is on, the timer instruction will be executed. To me this is saying that the timer will start when the switch is turned on, so the indicator light turns on 5 seconds after the switch is on. Opposite what the instructions say.

I'm sure it's my lack of understanding of the subject that is causing this confusion, but if anyone could help clarify which scenario is actually the case, that'd be great.

EDIT: Ack, it looks like I am unable to post URLs. The exercise in question is at *************************

Another way to look at is to have the switch latch a bit (say “B3.0/0). When the bit is high it turns the output on and starts the timer. When the timer goes done you can use the done bit to unlatch the bit B3.0/0 thus turning the output back off.