Remote Access to RSLogix

infineum

Does anybody have experience with setting up a terminal services server enabling remote access to RSLogix 5,500, and 5000? We have placed many of our PLCs on an isolated ethernet network so we can access our PLCs from our engineering station. This setup lessened the need to connect at the process or machine to perform a backup or view code online but still requires up to be on-site. I was trying to find a means of remote access to help our technicians on the off shift. One possible solution is to setup a server running RSLogix and RSLinx and having the capability to access this server remotely using software that acts as a thin client or terminal. Does anybody know of a good resource to find information on how to accomplish this? We have an Wonderware InTouch Terminal Services server running that we access at our desktop or remotely as a client. This actually works pretty well. Thanks.

I think I understand what you are trying to do. The easiest way would be to VPN in to your system and use the existing connections to your network. An even easier way would be to hit your machine from home (or anywhere you have an internet connection) with VNC software. I use Log Me In. Log Me In is available at www.logmein.com and I use the free version. This allows you to hit your desktop and use your work computer as if you were sitting in front of it. You just log off your machine and shut your monitor off when you leave work and keep the tower running. Log Me In will actually Log you into your machine remotely but the machine has to be running at the log in prompt. You could set up a dedicated machine at work to hit remotely that has very little rights on the network. If security is an issue go with a VPN.

What you are trying to do is really simple... I just simply setup a connection allowing you to connect to the network from home, you will need to get an IP address for this from some one in your IT department. once you have done that just remote desktop in to a PC or Terminal Services, which ever has the RSLogix software installed on it. I also use VPN but I only use this for the HMI's that we have running Wonderware.

FYI
I use remote desktop also but I have found that you can not start RSLogix500 with remote desktop but if it is currently running you should be fine.

infineum said:
Does anybody have experience with setting up a terminal services server enabling remote access to RSLogix 5,500, and 5000?

I have done this in two way:

1) Using Windows Server 2000/2003, I enabled Remote Desktop for Administration. This allowed me to use the Remote Desktop Connection in XP to log on to the remote PC as an administrator. At that point you can do things as if you were locally at the PC. I have done this over the internet with a VPN into the company network.
Haven't tried it, but I think XP has the same Remote Desktop feature, which can be found in Control Panel->System->Remote

2) Install RSLinx Gateway on the PC that is connected to the PLC's. Then from your remote PC, use RSLinx to connect to the gateway. From there it will pass through and you can get online with the PLC's. The same as above, this works over a VPN.

Remote Access

Thank you for the information. Based on the replies, it looks possible to accomplish remote access to RSLogix. We have a Wonderware terminal services application running. We can have as many remote instance as we have runtime licenses installed. Does RSLogix allow multiple license instances? If not, it would appear that only one remote desktop could patch in at a time. I am trying to get away from our current method which is to use PCanyware to take over control of the computer. It works but a remote desktop would be a better solution.

One other method similar to what is listed above, is to setup a VPN and access your network, then just open up rslinx and browse to the processor you need. Works on RSLogix 500/5000 and RSView/me for any PVPlus you may have. I have also seen PC anywhere used to go in on the VPN mentioned above to access a computer on your network running the AB software

You want to look at the Hirschmann Eagle. It is basically a VPN in a box setup complete with security. I used a pc with PCAnywhere to remote access the network.

Bob O said:
FYI
I use remote desktop also but I have found that you can not start RSLogix500 with remote desktop but if it is currently running you should be fine.

I do not believe this to be true. I start RSLogix through remote desktop all the time. As long as the PC is running that you remote into and you have RSLogix installed on that machine the software will start fine...

I am happy that it works for you but it doesn't for me and RA confirmed it.

Edit..Maybe one of RA gurus will let us know why it works in your case and not mine.

Last edited:
Bob O said:
I am happy that it works for you but it doesn't for me and RA confirmed it.

Edit..Maybe one of RA gurus will let us know why it works in your case and not mine.

Not really sure why it works for me and not you... I would like to know why it does not work for you? Hopefully some one could elaborate more on this issue for us. I am not really sure why RA would confirm something like that anyway. When you remote into any PC that gives you full control over the box and all applications. I do not see why RSLogix would be any different especially if you have the activation installed on that PC. Is your activation installed on your PC? My comment was not intended to be an argument, just simply to state I do this all the time as well as our engineering dept. I can not really think what is different from yours and mine, remote desktop works the same on any box with XP Professional.

Taking you through the steps that I go through to connect from my home.

1. Setup a VPN connection to my work network.already have IP
2. Connect to the network
3. Open Remote Desktop
4. Type in IP for my box and connect. already have IP
5. Once online with my box open the RSLogix software from
the short cut on my desktop.
6. Comms,whos active go online,select PLC and I am online from
Home.

This is how I make the connection. It should work the same for you.

Last edited:
Remote Access

Based on the discussion, I guess there are two options; connect to the nework, logon the server and run the RSLogix instance on the server or connect to the nework, logon the server and run RSLogix from my computer using RSLinx Gateway on the server. (my computer is remote, server is on the LAN and connected to the PLCs) Can either of these options support more than one remote session, i.e. two people logging on simultaneously and trying to access PLCs? I am sorry for probably asking some basic questions but remote PC access is something that I have little experience or knowleldge with but am trying to learn. Thanks.

infineum said:
Based on the discussion, I guess there are two options; connect to the nework, logon the server and run the RSLogix instance on the server or connect to the nework, logon the server and run RSLogix from my computer using RSLinx Gateway on the server. (my computer is remote, server is on the LAN and connected to the PLCs) Can either of these options support more than one remote session, i.e. two people logging on simultaneously and trying to access PLCs? I am sorry for probably asking some basic questions but remote PC access is something that I have little experience or knowleldge with but am trying to learn. Thanks.

I can not tell you if this will support 2 people logging on simultaneously, I have never tried that before.
what I can tell you is that you can connect to your network and run RSLogix with no problem using the method in my earlier post. I know this is kinda confusing and I hope that I was able to help you out.

I get the Fatal Error message box when I try to launch it remotely but when I am at the machine it starts without issue. I am working on Windows Server 2003 with Factory Talk Activation and XP.

I was on the phone with RA about something else when I tried to launch logix remotely forgetting that I had problems in the past and the tech on the phone said something to the effect “yeah you can’t do that, you need to be at the machine”.

I f I get a chance I will call in the morning and ask more about it.

Hi, I have launched RSLogix5000 remotely using PCAnywhere. I had a VPN setup to save me from the 2am trips into work. I could open RSL5000 and get right online with the processor. I never had a problem.