CompactLogix to Modicon Quantum CPU Comms

CaptHook

Hey All,

I need to send a few bits between a new CompactLogix machine and a current existing Modicon Quantum 140CPU65260.

Has anyone ever set up basic ethernet communications between these two?

Thanks!
Steve

When I encountered this situation, I used the InTouch HMI that was common to both PLCs as sort of a virtual router. Read a tag from one PLC and then use scripting to write that value to a tag in the other PLC.

If your HMI can't broker the comms, then I recommend a network gateway like the very easy-to-set-up units from Real Time Automation.

While you could probably do this with the socket-based Modbus/TCP client sample code that's installed with Studio 5000, that takes up a bunch of memory, isn't particularly elegant, and will take time to troubleshoot.

The Red Lion datastation Plus is really good for this application. I have a few now for interfacing between old SLCs and our new modicon M340s.