Redlion Protocol Converter Problem

Hello,

We are using a DSP-LE000 REDLION Protocol Converter in one of our client premises to communicate between the AB PLC SLC5/03 & Siemens WINCC SCADA . The Input for DSP-LE000 unit is AB PLC SLC 5/03 DH485 network. The Output side is Ethernet connection to Siemens “WINCC” SCADA package. The configuration package for DSP-LE000 is Crimson 2.0 software. I am using this Protocol Converter first time….

Is there anybody to sortout my queries....

My Queries are as follows:

• In RS-485 port side I had selected the “Allen Bradley DH-485 Master”. In this Protocol Do I need to add the “Gateway Block”? & Why we need to add these blocks?
  • In Ethernet port side, I had selected the “Siemens S7-300/400 TCP/IP Master” for WINCC Communication. In this Protocol what setting needs to be configured? Do I need to add the “Gateway Blocks” here also? Are these gateways blocks need to match with input side Gateway Blocks?
  • In Siemens WINCC SCADA PC, What protocol needs to select in my project in the “Simatic S7 Protocol Suite” for getting the data of AB SLC 5/03 PLC?
Thanks,

The Gateway blocks will allow you to take info from one port and put into the other and vice versa. You only need to add the Gateway blocks on one of the communications ports. There is a Guide to S7 comms on Red Lion's website that should help you with the Siemens configurations. Here is a link to it:

Red Lion comms to S7

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.
The manual contains the communication between Siemens PLC to G3 HMI information.

As per your info, If i select the gateway blocks in input side(AB SLC 5/03, How can i configure the Output side(Ethernet). Do you mean create a PLC under protocol1 using S7300/400 Protocol and remaing Tag Generation should be done at WINCC side?

Actually i could not aable to test the device, Sice the device is at site.

Thanks
Apparao

Apparao,

I don't know much about the WINCC side of things, but here is an example program I quickly created with all of the Gateway Blocks being done on the Ethernet port. Notice the arrows on the Blocks. On Block 1 you will see that the data is going FROM the AB N:Registers into the Seimens DB registers. And on Block 2 you will see that the DB registers are going FROM the Seimens and into the AB N:Registers.

Let me know what you think of this.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your support.
Please see the "redlion.zip" attachment of the project overview.

I had gone through your sample project. I had some more doubts :

1. In WINCC, If i create S7 TCP/IP driver, Which IP Adress i need to set in WINCC. a)Ethernet 'Port settings' of DSP Port? or b) Protocol1 -->'Siemens'--> Device identification IP Address?

See the "Wincc-Scada.zip" attachment for the details.

Thanks,

I dont think what you propose will work, i think You will need a S7300/400 PLC in conjunction with your setup.

The WinCC Driver is to read/write S7 PLC addresses, so is the Red Lion Driver - in your current setup there is no PLC DBx.DBWxx

Normally the WinCC TCP/IP connection is set to the IP address of the Simatic PLC, notice the Rack and Slot dialogs in your .bmp.

Also the version of WinCC will dictate the approach, Version 5 has support for DH/DH+/DH485 and DF1.

Version 6
Is supported via OPC

This link has more details:
http://www.allmendinger.de/002_RK/WinCC/FrameIndex.htm

STL??? is correct, that driver selection will not work as both WINCC and us will be a master.

You have 2 options.

1. Use our OPC server to gather data from the DSP, which will be gathering it from the SLC.

2. Use us as a Modbus TCP slave, and setup WINCC to be a Modbus master.

Here is a brief tutorial on protocol conversion, which is option number 2: http://www.redlion.net/g3features/G3 Feature - Converter.html

Regards,
Dan