A Free HMI with Eye Catching Graphics is Now Available

Surprisingly the line is actually difficult to make a control of. Visual Studio is designed to work with everything in a rectangle boundary. The line completely throws out this concept since it only uses 2 points. I've seen the source code to the power packs and it is much more complex than you would first think.

I hear you, you are much more expert than I.

Just saying that the ability to draw integrated and animated "basic shapes" like lines is, to me, as important than making the other objects look nice, which they do.

As you stated Visual Studio does have lines, in the Power-Packs, can't you use that source code and develop it into animated controls?

my lack of knowledge in this are but i need to ask.
doesnt a line have 4 points when you include thickness?

my lack of knowledge in this are but i need to ask.
doesnt a line have 4 points when you include thickness?
Technically you are correct as long as it has a thickness other than 0. But in the computer graphic world a line is defined by a start point, end point, and thickness. A rectangle has 4 points and if filled, it can appear the same as a thick line, but act very different in operations such as scaling.

GE Snpx Driver.

I had it work a few times. But it was sporadic. I see in the last two versions the driver is not there. Is there any plan to bring that driver back?
I have GE controller's if I can be of any help to try and get this driver to work let me know.
It would be a have advantage to have this work. A lot of older equipment we have uses 90-30's and no budget for HMI. Would be great to use for diagnostics rather than whip out a laptop and connect to see whats going on.

Thanks,
Matt

GE Snpx Driver.

I had it work a few times. But it was sporadic. I see in the last two versions the driver is not there. Is there any plan to bring that driver back?
I have GE controller's if I can be of any help to try and get this driver to work let me know.
It would be a have advantage to have this work. A lot of older equipment we have uses 90-30's and no budget for HMI. Would be great to use for diagnostics rather than whip out a laptop and connect to see whats going on.
Unfortunately that one will probably not be back anytime soon. It was developed and contributed by a user that I lost contact with. When the drivers were updated in version 3.5, that was one of them not upgraded and I do not know the protocol or have the hardware for testing to maintain it.

Do you know if the driver ever worked properly? Is there anywhere I could look for in the driver code that might point me in the right direction. I could possible send you a 90-30 if it would be something you could look into with out to much time.
Thanks,
Matt

Do you know if the driver ever worked properly? Is there anywhere I could look for in the driver code that might point me in the right direction. I could possible send you a 90-30 if it would be something you could look into with out to much time.
You can still download an older version with the driver source code:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/files/advancedhmi/3.0/

I personally never used the driver, so I can't speak much of how well it worked.

I wouldn't be able to do anything with it anytime soon. I currently have a backlog of several months.

Thank You Archie for taking the time for all of us!! I will try the version you linked. If you ever do get time PM me and like I said I can probably get you a 90-30 to test with if you are interested.

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks,
Matt
Hi Matt, I briefly had a previous version of the AdvancedHMI working with a 90-20 (yes, really!), but that was just a trial with a few push buttons and some LEDs/timer displays on a screen. I haven't had a chance to do any experimenting with the software since.

Side note - if you have Proficy Machine Edition with the View option, you can do a simulator screen for several hours, if all you are interested in is getting some quick data from a PLC.

I have seen a new HMI components company. All components are OPC Client too. I mean you can write read bind to OPC Item (PLC address) via these components. I integrated to Visual Studio easily that components and I did not write any code. That company made some videos about usage and demo version of components.You can try easily. Any way give you some screen of my project.

GelecekHMI.jpg

http://geleceksoftware.com

Releated videos
Gelecek HMI Components installation and integration to Visual Studio
Use of Gelecek OPC Demo Client
Sample Project with Gelecek HMI Components
Distrubition of projects for runtime

Last edited:
This is a really nice package! I've been playing with it all morning, using Modbus TCP to comminucate with a couple variable-speed screw compressors. It took a while to figure out the offset for the memory addresses of the integers I want to display, but I got it working eventually.

I'm stuck, however, on how I can accociate a particular bit to an indicator light. For instance, 1010h (4112 decimal) is a word that contains status information.

bit 0 = compressor is starting
bit 1 = compressor is running
bit 2 = compressor is loaded
bit 3 = compressor is blowing down
etc...

If I associate this memory address (1010h) with the indicator light, the light is on if any of the bits are true.

If this were an Allen-Bradley PLC, I'd associate something like B3:1/2 with the indicator light and it would drill down to the bit address.

How do I indicate a bit-level memory address in Modbus?

B3:1/2 is a bit address.
You either need to:
1. un-pack the word you are reading
2. do a mask to only pass through the bit you want,
3. if the driver supports Read coils, then that should maybe be used.

1 & 2 would be where I would start

I have seen a new HMI components company. All components are OPC Client too. I mean you can write read bind to OPC Item (PLC address) via these components. I integrated to Visual Studio easily that components and I did not write any code.
AdvancedHMI is free (thank you big time, Archie), this one isn't. I think this says it all.