SICK Encoder to SIEMENS PLC interface?

James T

Hi,

I am looking to connect an Incremental Encoder to a PLC and have never done this before! I am experienced in using Digital IO, PLC Bits, Counters, Timers etc but have never incorporated an Encoder to a PLC.

The details of the hardware are as follows:

SICK encoder with the following interface:

TTL / RS422, 6 Channel (4V....6V) or (10V....30V)

or

HTL/ push, pull, 3 Channel (A,B,Z) (10V....30V)

Siemens S7-300 PLC range

I don't believe that the hardware is the problem its just that I don't know the standard approach, do I need a specific 'Counter Card'? or can I utilise spare IO. The resolution of the encoder I will use is going to only be 120 pulses per revolution and will equate to 2.5mm accuracy which is all I need, this then means an 18ms gap between pulses.

What I want to achieve with the PLC is just count down a number of pulses from the encoder from a known start position and then signal a reject cylinder.

Do I really need all the channels? a A, b B, Z?

Please can you help

Best Regards,

JT

I'm a little conservative when it comes to encoder inputs so I would use a counter card for this. The FM350-1 is a two-channel counter that is pretty reasonably priced.

When you say 18 msec I assume that means 18 msec between leading edges of one channel. To consistenly pick us a pulse you would need to make sure all the delays in the system (I/O module response, plc scan time, etc) add up to less than 9 msec, a pretty tall order. You could save a couple of bucks and go with an interrupt module, but I would stick with the counter.

What signals you use depends on how much noise and drift you can live with. If you have the signals and it doesn't cost you much to run them, run A, /A, B and /B. This will give you bidirectional decoding and good noise immunity. I would also go with the HTL signals to get the better signal to noise ratio.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Keith,

Thanks for the info, I will look into the FM350-1, I guess since it is 2 channel I will be able to look at both A /A, B /B as you advise.

I will also use the HTL to reduce the risk of noise.

I am unsure of what the cheaper option of an interrupt card is though can you explain or do you have a model type?

Thanks Again,

James

James-
When I say the FM350-1 is a two-channel counter I mean it is capable of full encoder interface for two encoders. However, I was wrong on that. It is actually a single channel counter. It will accept A, A/, B and B/ for one encoder.
I'm not really recommending you use the input interrupt method for counting. It's just another option. You can use a 6ES7 321-7BH00-0AB0 input module to generate interrupts. When you get an interrupt the plc will automatically run OB40. You will need to decode a mask in software to let you know what created the interrupt and then you will need to act accordingly. this is probably penny wise and pound foolish as you will most likely burn more money in development time using the interrupt method than the hardware cost of the counter. I just thought I woiuld toss that out and let you think about it.

Keith

Hi

We are using a 'interrupt IQ card 'and works fine
type 6ES7 321-7BH00-0AB0

The encoder is a 512 points per revolution and 1 point is 1 cm
time between pulses is about 20 msec

You only need A en B channel if you need to know direction of movement

Greetings

Eric

Biltong

Aikona hi,you think all the Rooineks (rednecks) know what Biltong is?
For all you Americans it is the best beef jerky in the world/
Go Boks go.

Steve