Creating a second LAN configuration for Siemens

Lamboom

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
This is about making another wired LAN connection configuration.

Ya know when you go to control panel/Network and Internet/network and Sharing center/ and Change Adapter Settings ... You get those cute little "Network Connections". At least one is LAN, and another is Wireless.

You can configure several of each. You can go wireless with a Access Point connected to your Automation System.. and go online with your configuring program..like S7 TIA Portal. Or you can go wired with a Ethernet cable (RG45) in the Wired LAN connection at the back of your PC.

My Question is simply... How does one make new Local Area Connections (wired) .. and new Wireless connections?

When you right-click on them you can access properties .. setting fixed or DHCP IP's .. an' such.

But.. What is the procedure for creating those alternate connections?

Here's an example of 3 connections for wireless.. and one for wired...

Thanks much, Regards, Michael

Network connections  2.jpg

You can add additional IP addresses to your existing network interface via the IPV4 properties.

If you want a whole separate network, then you need to add a new network interface card. My laptop came with two, but the easiest way to add a new one is to use a USB to ethernet adapter.

Also, on the wireless side, I think you really only have one interface. Windows adds a few pretend ones, but I've never figured out what they were actually for.

Last edited:
Thanks MK42

I've got a USB to Ethernet adapter .. it works fine.. :)

Let me try an' explain the problem better....

I find that after so many years NOT creating network configurations.. I've forgotten much. It takes a frustrating amount of time to re-discover what I once knew.

Similar to what you see in that group of Network Connections above, I have another PC which has several Wired Local Area Connections. It was done for me a few years ago.. and I can't remember how to do that. All the connections use the same controller, obviously only one at a time .. there's only one RG45 connector on the PC .. but different IP addresses in the connections properties (IPV4)

That's what I'm trying to do... NOT run two wired LAN networks at the same time.. 'Tho, that's what you get if you add a USB to Ethernet adapter to the machine.

Example: I would like to connect the Cable modem(with Ethernet) wired .. which uses DHCP "OR" connect to the Siemens Automation system which uses a fixed IP .. wired.

I have used the USB to Ethernet adapter to connect to the Siemens Automation System successfully. Also, did the same using the WiFi Controller, with an Access Point connected to the Siemens gear.

What I want to do ... Is to be able to connect (wired) to both ... but only ONE AT A TIME ... and have it just work. Using only one controller, one RG45 socket.

Up in that picture of "Connections" .. there would be two Local Area Connections. I just don't know how to create the second one... Sniff!

Regards, Michael

Interesting... I've never seen that before. I'm not sure if that's possible, but it sure sounds useful.

Hi MK42.. OK.. I'm going to run an get a screenshot of the network connections on another PC which shows 2 or 3 LAN connections .. just to show ya it's possible..

Moggie.. that's a cool link, thanks a lot for sharing!

NetSetMan is great. I use it all the time.
I also use dual Networks all the time.
1 static network for plc communications.
1 DHCP network for customer domain access for backup and access to history files.

Dear MK42... GADZOOKS! I was wrong... inconceivable! I'm gonna have to use something like TCP/IP Manager or NetSetMan... Interested in the Dual Networks mentioned by Nathan.

Hay Nathan, could you be more specific about how that is done.. I've noticed hundreds of people trying to fix the inherent problem of running dual networks .. without loosing wireless connection. So far, I haven't seen any solutions that look good (I'm using Windows 7)

Thanks, Michael

My customers are on Win7 Pro also.
I have 2 or more wired network interfaces in
PC. "Local Area Connection" 1 and 2

Remember the networks have to be on different IPs.

Let's say I am using 192.168.1.5 for PLC
I will use 192.168.1.105 on the network adapter for Local Area Connection 1 in PC. I also change the name to " Data Lan"
So 192.168.1.### is my static range.
255/255/255/0 for subnet mask.

The other Network adapter I set up as DHCP by default or whatever IP the customer
requests. In adapter settings I also change the name from Local Area Connection 2 to "Company Lan".

Wireless networks are a little pickier....you can only have 1 connected, so you have to also have a wired connection for dual network connections.
Usually it is easier to connect up the wireless side first and then plug in wired side. I have found some wireless connections take a back seat when a wired connection is active.

In addition.....I have several customers on a maintenance contract. I connect to them thru LogMeIn and do troubleshooting, programming, backups, and PC maintenance.
I have very few connection issues....mostly related to strength of Verizon signal. I have never interrupted the wired connection to the PC.
The PC has either an internal wifi card to use with their company wireless guest account or we supply Verizon Wifi USB "dongle".
So this is 2 wired networks and 1 active wifi connection running.

I use the in Windows integrated utility called NETSH.
I make a few batch files so I can quickly switch between fixed IP addres and DHCP for example.
It is easy.
Example to set DHCP:
Code:
NETSH interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" dhcp
pause
Example set fixed IP:
Code:
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" static 192.168.1.77 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.242 1
pause

It has been years since I used it but I used to do it the same way as jesper.

Eventually I got sick of maintaining separate batch files and put this together.

I assume it still works. "Local Area Connection 2" would have to be updated to the proper connection name.

Code:
:: IP Menu.bat
:: This Menu displays the current setting for your local area connection adapter
:: and allows selection of which IP Address to assign to the local network adapter
::
@ECHO OFF

::  Check for admin rights
echo Administrative permissions required. Detecting permissions...

net session >nul 2>&1
if %errorLevel% == 0 (
echo Success: Administrative permissions confirmed.
) else (
echo Failure: Current permissions inadequate... Please run as administrator
pause
exit
)

set /a testVar=0
:START
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO.

ECHO     Current Settings:
netsh interface ip show address "Local Area Connection 2"

ECHO.
ECHO.

ECHO     PRESS '1' TO SELECT DYNAMIC
ECHO     -------------------------------------------------
ECHO     PRESS '2' TO SELECT 10.217.19.247 - Test network
ECHO     PRESS '3' TO SELECT 10.217.8.247  - Line 1
ECHO     PRESS '4' TO SELECT 192.168.0.247
ECHO     PRESS '5' TO SELECT 192.168.1.247
ECHO     PRESS '6' TO SELECT 192.168.100.247
ECHO     PRESS '7' TO SELECT 172.20.1.247 - Line 5

if "%testVar%"=="0" goto NOMESSAGE

ECHO.
ECHO.
ECHO     Invalid Choice - Try Again.

:NOMESSAGE
ECHO.
ECHO.

set /p userinp=    Choose a Number (1-7): 
set userinp=%userinp:~0,1%
if "%userinp%"=="1" goto 1
if "%userinp%"=="2" goto 2
if "%userinp%"=="3" goto 3
if "%userinp%"=="4" goto 4
if "%userinp%"=="5" goto 5
if "%userinp%"=="6" goto 6
if "%userinp%"=="7" goto 7

set /a testVar=1
goto START

:1
ECHO.
ECHO     Setting IP Address to "DHCP".....
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2" dhcp
goto end

:2
ECHO.
ECHO     Setting IP Address to "10.217.19.247".....
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2" static 10.217.19.247 255.255.255.0 10.217.19.1
goto end

:3
ECHO.
ECHO     Setting IP Address to "10.217.8.247".....
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2" static 10.217.8.247 255.255.255.0 10.217.8.1
goto end

:4
ECHO.
ECHO     Setting IP Address to "192.168.0.247".....
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2" static 192.168.0.247 255.255.255.0
goto end

:5
ECHO.
ECHO     Setting IP Address to "192.168.1.247".....
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2" static 192.168.1.247 255.255.255.0
goto end

:6
ECHO.
ECHO     Setting IP Address to "192.168.100.247".....
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2" static 192.168.100.247 255.255.255.0
goto end

:7
ECHO.
ECHO     Setting IP Address to "172.20.1.247".....
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection 2" static 172.20.1.247 255.255.255.0 172.20.1.1
goto end

:end

PING 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 3000 >NUL

ECHO     IP Addressing Completed.
ECHO.
ECHO     Current Settings are now:
netsh interface ip show address "Local Area Connection 2"

pause>nul

Hi MK42.. OK.. I'm going to run an get a screenshot of the network connections on another PC which shows 2 or 3 LAN connections .. just to show ya it's possible..

MK42 check this out.. it helped feed the confusion:

is That 1394 Net Adapter built in .. a Firewire connection? .. if so, why does it say "connected"?

Network Connections.jpg

My customers are on Win7 Pro also.
I have 2 or more wired network interfaces in
PC. "Local Area Connection" 1 and 2

Remember the networks have to be on different IPs.

Interesting NetNathan, thanks. This is what started the thread.
What did you do to get two wired LAN interfaces in your PC? .. That's kinda what I'm not understanding. Do you have two network drivers, and two RG45 connectors?

OOps.. You explained in your next post ... :)

Last edited: