Simulation for Rockwell PLCs

Mark-O

I have been using a simulation program to provide feed-back to PLC5 programs. The setup requires that I use the actual PLC5 to do the simulation.
I am trying to use SOftLogix5 to do the same thing but I find that SOftLogix ignores the Rack inhibit that works so well in a real PLC5. The whole objective is to beable to read and write to the I/O table of the PLC5 or SoftLogix in my case.

Has anyone have run into this situation and how did you solve the problem?

Thanks,

Simulation

I make sure that the simulation logic is the very top of the program (before any other code would read the "real-world" inputs). And when I program the simulation, I don't rely on the inputs to remain set or reset for the next scan. If I need to latch an input (like a limit switch), I'll latch an internal bit (B3), and then use THAT to just drive the input.

I'll second what Allen says.

You only have to worry about the inputs. You should jump to "the inputs-simulation subroutine" as the first thing in your program.

Also, you have to drive the inputs constantly (with OTE). OTL and OTU are not allowed. So, as Allen says, use an intermediary bit if you need to use a latching function, and use the intermediary bit to drive the input.
Then you dont need to worry about "rack inhibiting".

As a general design principle I put each program function such as inputs and outputs into seperate ladder files, this allows me to replace the physical i/o with flags for simulation purposes and to test individual functions of the program before testing the whole thing. To test the program with simulated i/o I replace the real input and output ladder files with simulation ladder files. I never directly read an input or set and output in the program logic, I always use flags. The flags then read/set the i/o in the i/o ladder files, this also allows me to use the same logic for a variety of different machines with similar functions but different i/o and hardware. I currently have the same type of machine with PLC5 SL5/05 and Micrologix 1500 all running the same program just with different input and output ladder files.