Allen-Bradley PC based

rblunt

I'm looking to cut costs on a machine.

I was thinking of using Ignition HMI on a Panel PC with Rockwell Softlogix for the PLC. Is this viable? I have 2 hydraulic axis to control via Point I/O cards.

I'm just a little awestruck with the price for a 7" PanelView not to mention the price tag for a Compactlogix.

Our standard is Beckhoff, which with a VB.NET HMI costs considerably less but obviously lots of people want AB.

If they want AB, they also want to pay more for it. No dramas there, just give them what they want. I would use a CPLX over softlogix though. Do they even still do softlogix?
I always got the feeling it was more of a "the customer demanded this so we made this" product, rather than a "this is AB" product. I recall it computes things slightly differently to the CompactLogix, so if you test in one you can't guarantee it will work in the other. It may have been a bug that was fixed, but still they are different code bases as one is for Windows and one is for CXworks.

I agree gins the customer what they want but if you are looking for an alterative at a better price then I would look at Parker ACR 9000 series controller and just create a HMI in net studio. the ACR comes with the communications driver for the Net Studio and can handle remote I/O with Can Open communications
it's about the most cost effective way I have found I just competed as 5 axis machine using it and about to start 2 more with at least 6 axis
they do have very good tech support

Over the years I have upgraded at least 9 systems that were SoftLogix5 and Softlogix5800 based. The reason for all the upgrades except for one was terrible reliability. I highly recommend to avoid at all costs the SoftLogix system.

If you are already comfortable with VB.NET, why not use AdvancedHMI ? It will cut out the HMI software cost.

Over the years I have upgraded at least 9 systems that were SoftLogix5 and Softlogix5800 based. The reason for all the upgrades except for one was terrible reliability. I highly recommend to avoid at all costs the SoftLogix system.

If you are already comfortable with VB.NET, why not use AdvancedHMI ? It will cut out the HMI software cost.

I think I'm going to be stuck buying the Compactlogix, if it didn't have motion then a Micrologix would do the job. The HMI they might be flexible on as long as they can edit themselves easily, I'm not sure AdvancedHMI would be that, I think something like Ignition or Red Lion is more maintenance friendly

How do you plan to do the hydraulic motion via POINT I/O ?

Is there a specialty module you plan to use, or just analog I/O ?

Is your hydraulic motion co-ordinated between axes or standalone ? High speed or slow ? High precision ?

How many of these machines are you going to build ?

Every SoftLogix system I've ever seen suffered from the designer's disdain for industrial hardware; it's run on whiteboxes with no care taken for networking or stability. I wouldn't consider it for a cost reason.

How do you plan to do the hydraulic motion via POINT I/O ?

Is there a specialty module you plan to use, or just analog I/O ?

Is your hydraulic motion co-ordinated between axes or standalone ? High speed or slow ? High precision ?

How many of these machines are you going to build ?

Every SoftLogix system I've ever seen suffered from the designer's disdain for industrial hardware; it's run on whiteboxes with no care taken for networking or stability. I wouldn't consider it for a cost reason.

Yes, I threw the softlogix away when I seen first reply here, and I kind of knew something was up when I went to look at documentation, didn't look very up to date.

I have 2 Hydraulic Axis that are set for positioning, max speed is 42mm/s, accuracy of the Sony Magnascale encoder tape is .01mm.

AB has suggested Point I/O part numbers 1734-IK for the encoders and 1734-OE2V for the proportional valves.

I'm just starting to get into this, boss has said do it.

How do I tie the 1734-IK to 1734-OE2V? for positioning?

Do I use a PID loop? or is there a RSLogix instruction that specifically fits this scenario?

We haven't got A-B Studio yet, I'm just trying to verify technical guy isn't blowing smoke up my butt with a less than optimal setup.

The POINT I/O counter and analog modules are not meant for closed-loop motion control. They can't be associated with an axis and are limited to relatively coarse update rates.

That doesn't mean they can't be used to control a hydraulic cylinder, especially a slow-moving one or one that doesn't require coordinated motion or high precison or repeatability. It just means they aren't designed to do it.

When I hear "hydraulic position control", I default to a dedicated purpose motion controller, and Delta's RMCs connect very well to A-B controllers.

The POINT I/O counter and analog modules are not meant for closed-loop motion control. They can't be associated with an axis and are limited to relatively coarse update rates.

That doesn't mean they can't be used to control a hydraulic cylinder, especially a slow-moving one or one that doesn't require coordinated motion or high precison or repeatability. It just means they aren't designed to do it.

When I hear "hydraulic position control", I default to a dedicated purpose motion controller, and Delta's RMCs connect very well to A-B controllers.

Yes, I spoke to Delta this morning, he pretty much echo'd what your are saying Ken, and what my "gut" was telling me.

I think, what we will do is a Micrologix with a Delta RMC75.

Our Beckhoff flavor of this machine is rock solid, and I'm aiming for same with the AB flavor.

thanks everybody for the advice/experience/thoughts