505 Workshop issues

Rocguy

Using 505 Workshop by Fastrak Softworks version 4.90

The powers that be on our electrical side here in the plant decided they were going to re-organize the IP addresses of every machine, HMI, Co-processor etc. Now every time we try to get into a program. We have to navigate manually to the IP to get it to connect.

When you go to connect to a particular machine. I use the open folder toolbar icon. Then, the open program box comes up. Click Browse... Choose the machine I want...click ok... Then check the dot next to "Connect to PLC"...
At this point, you must Un-check "Use File Associated Communications Settings. (If you don't, you'll get the spinning icon for a few seconds and then... Unable to attach to PLC via TCP/IP. Unable to connect via socket.)

Then you get a box "TCP/IP Network Access" where you must choose the machine and it's IP. Then click Ok
At that point you get a box with the following message.

"Unable to store file associated communications settings. Failure to open settings file" You click Ok. The program then opens.

You used to be able to just open the folder, choose your machine, say ok and boom all IP info was saved after the first time you had set a machine's processor up.

Needless to say, the guys that changed this can't figure out how to get out of it now. I'm thinking it can't be that hard. There has to be something simple we are missing somewhere?

Hello Rocguy

Do you get that message when for example you change the port number and after that have to press the "Accept" button or when you press modifie to change the for example the communication settings from one of your plc,s.
(in this example PLCA /PLCC.
What about when you are online to the plc and after that do a save will it then not save the communication settings?

Kind regards
Henny

ws.jpg

Hi thanks Henny,

Yes it still gives me that message. I did try to save the program under another name hoping it would store those settings but, it will not. It acts like it just won't save those settings. I know when they made this change, they also made it so they would get automatic backups. (At least that's what I was told). I'm not sure if that could be preventing the change or what I would have to do to get around it.

Hello Rocguy

Do you have Administrator rights with the PC that you are using for workshop?
This because workshops prompts that it can not open a file.

Kind regards
Henny

I'm not sure. It doesn't appear that I do. When I go to Control Panel, User Accounts it doesn't have Administrator by the name. I can't remember ever getting any messages saying I can't do something because of administrator privilege. We're using windows 7

Edit: When I click on manage user accounts, it says group is administrators

Last edited:
Hello

According to the help workshop help file when you are successfully online the
communication settings are stored. Workshop stores these settings in a file with the extension *.FTRF

The file is located in the same folder as workshop so
eg C:\Program Files (x86)\FasTrak SoftWorks, Inc\505 WorkShop\

Because you know what the settings should be you can try to find this FTRF file and move it temporary to another folder. Workshop then has to recreate this file again.

Also attached in a zip file the FTRF file from one of our PC,s so that you can play with it.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Henny

Ahh Henny, I was looking in our manual and found something about that file. When I searched for it, I could not find the file. After reading your message, it occurred to me that maybe it was a hidden file. Sure enough, after check marking "show hidden files and folders" I was able to find and delete it.
Thank you so much for your help. This is going to eliminate a lot of aggravation! (y)

Hello Rocguy

So I assume it,s working now?

Just curious want kind of CTI or TI plc,s your company uses?
In our malting plant we have four 2500-C400,s and I always liked to programm them.
Most questions in this forum about TI is for replacing purpose because although CTI has good reliable products it,s hard to compete with Siemens and Rockwell.

Kind regards
Henny

Hello Rocguy

So I assume it,s working now?

Just curious want kind of CTI or TI plc,s your company uses?
In our malting plant we have four 2500-C400,s and I always liked to programm them.
Most questions in this forum about TI is for replacing purpose because although CTI has good reliable products it,s hard to compete with Siemens and Rockwell.

Kind regards
Henny

Yes, it is working now. Thank you again. We have 2500-200. I"d have to look to see if we have any 400's. Our plant is old. We still have some PLC's in service from 35 years ago. Old 5 TI. Texas Instruments 505's Quite a variety:ROFLMAO: