Panelview Plus Data Log File Transfer

BRadford

Newbie so sorry if this question is very general or has been discussed elsewhere already.

We have a R/O system installed presently and I am looking to add some additional features to compliment it. Presently the device uses a AB Panel Plus 1000 with the preset ability to download the R/O log file to a connected USB. You can specify the USB location on the AB interface with a start stop logging option when there is a USB drive is installed. (4gb max USB drive, logging all signals every 5 seconds)

What I would like to do is send this log file to a network drive. Then with this log file I can build out a online interface to overlay the data onto a flow layout I have already built. It would or could be remotely displayed with a slight delay as well recording all data and error logging and trending.

My issues and reasoning.
1) This unit is typically not in an easily accessible location. Either its not local or located in different building area. So it would be nice to see the status when required.
2) Remote data viewing for any trouble shooting.
3) I don't have access or ability to make any major code changes as we are just the end user. I can ask for simple changes but not anything major requiring medical equipment recertification.
4) Any data stored presently on USB cannot be accessed remotely and in realtime.
5) USB size is limited to 4GB.
6) User manually has to start stop the data logging to the USB.

I know there is Rockwell software to do this job but was quoted $10k for it which will not fly.

Am I dreaming or could there be some easy work around or even a hardware device that could be connected to the USB port to log the data and then I could remotely access that file?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Depending on what tool you're using to generate the log file, and which version of HMI you're using, you could save it to the c: drive instead of USB, then run a batch file every hour/day/whatever and copy it to a mapped network drive.

But for less than $1,500, you could use Inductive Automation SQL bridge and write the data in real-time right into an SQL server.

You can do remote viewing now by just using ViewPoint (I think that's what it's called) which just publishes a display to a webserver in the HMI. You just browse to the HMI and you can get whatever realtime data you want. I think you need to be at firmware 8 or higher.

I know you said you can't make changes to the PLC code, but if you can change the HMI configuration then you can make these changes today.

I hope that helps.