Motor tripping breaker when generating.

Originally posted by nswu1:

We actually use a three phase resistive load bank on the supply side to dissipate (by adding load) any regen.

Why not let the utility provide that function for you? They have the stiffest, highest capacity "load bank" will will find. And you get the added benefit that someone else can use that energy.

This of course assumes that the application is connected to a fixed plant AC supply as opposed to a generator or UPS.

Keith

Thanks everyone for a very informative thread.

No braking resistor (they were referring to an inertia brake) only reversing contactors and overload. They have a square D that looks like this one that is used more like a breaker as it is left on all the time and there's a three button station (up , down , stop) to operate the machine. The manual starter tripped intermittently up and down. The electrician replaced something in it and that resolved the issue.

For my own interest I metered the motor up and own and it drew the same current both direction.

This should've concluded this adventure except I just noticed something interesting.

OK I think we're good.

It was very difficult to get a shot of the motor plate because it is partly covered and the little my phone camera picked shows a baldor model that comes up as 230/460 VAC and I am certain the machine is wired for 600VAC but I am sure Baldor made the same model with 575V.
I measured a current of between 3.8 ad 4.0 Amps which is appropriate for a 600VAC 3HP motor.

Edit: Actually it is supposed to be 5h hp.

1.jpg

Last edited:
The contactors and resistors are used to control the speed of the motor. The lower is on the brake circuit and it is a possibility the taps on the resistors need to be changed or you have a faulty one

I cannot see anything on that photo. What is printed you can see, but what is engraved you cannot see. And it is the engraved part that is important.
A better photo, and the schematics, please.

Thanks Jesper.
I gave up trying to get a wiring diagram. I contacted Baldor with the model number I go off the partial plate picture I was able to take and they confirmed that it is a 575VAC - 5 hp motor.

https://www.baldor.com/catalog/VEBM3615T-S

Motor data.

CAT.NO. VEBM3615T-S
SPEC. 36M815S268G1
HP 5
VOLTS 230/460
AMP 13.4/6.7
RPM 1750
FRAME 184TC HZ 60 PH 3
SER.F. 1.15 CODE J DES B CL F
NEMA-NOM-EFF 89.5 PF 78
RATING 40C AMB-CONT
CC 010A USABLE AT 208V 13.9
DE 6206 ODE 6205
ENCL TEFC SN
IP22, BRAKE 25 FT-LB

Thanks Rob. The character at the end is the number 5 which denotes 575VAC.

Cheers