Problem to configure a IP address in a 1756-ENBT in a redundant system

pattousai

Hi everybody, following the tip of Ken Roach, i'm opening a new thread to my problem.

I have a redundant PLC system, each chassis have two 1756-EBNT card. One of them got bad and we replaced. But the new one had no IP configured.

So, we try to put the same IP of his pair using the BOOTP server (the one we are configuring the IP is now as slave). When we put back the ethernet cable in the card, both cards displays the error "duplicate IP". If we put the IP of the slave already as the IP of the master + 1, everything works fine, but when we do a switch-over (put the slave as the master), they don't switch the IP address (the other ethernet card pair switch the IP).

The other problem is that if we try to go to RSLinx and select the 'Static' option, when we click in 'apply' we get the following error: "An unexpected communications error has occurred. General status is 0x0009".

We also right-click on the SRM module and click in the "Module Configuration", but nothing appears.

We try connecting directly to the ebnt card using a ethernet cable. And also try connecting to the processor using the RS-232 port and the driver RS-232 DF1 drivers, but experienced the same results.

We are using the 15.02 revision of the ControlLogix redundancy. The firmware of the controller is 15.57.
The firmware of the cards is 4.3.2. I just checked the manuals and they are supported. But they have to be, because the other pair has the same firmware version, and the redundancy is working fine.
The firmware of the pair is the same (when they are powered-up, they show the value 4.3.2, is there the most secure way to know the firmware?).

We are using the RSLinx Lite and have no RSLogix installed on the machines. This could be why we don't being able to see the SRM module configuration?

Anyone has an idea of the problem?

Thanks very much

Searching in the internet, i found a document (dated of 2002), that shows a step-by-step configuration to use redundancy with ethernet cards. In there, its says that we need to configure some Alias Topics and we need the "ControlLogix Redundancy Alias Topic Switcher" software.

But i guess this was for earlier versions of the ControlLogix Redundancy, am i right?

Alias topic switching only apply to redundancy ver 11

In V15 or higher you must set both ENBTs to exact same address

You can't make any changes while module is in the seconary chassis because it is under full control of RM/SRM

to make changes, remove module from the secondary chassis and put it any other chassis where you can access it via a backplane.
do not connect ethernet cable, access module in RSlinx via backplane and set address.

If module revision is not that required by redundancy bundle you can flash it while in this temp location via backplane

Actually, i already configured the IP address, keeping the redundancy. but i think that i have desobey the Contr_Conn recommendations.

Before we are trying to change the IP to static with the secondary synchronized, when we disqualified this chassis, we were able to put the configuration of the IP to the same of his pair and also static.

When we put it back to the network, he assigned the correct IP (primary + 1) and synchronized correctly. After a switch-over, they exchanged the IPs as we expected.

So, thanks very much for the help!

Just an additional information: if subnet mask is set different from one ethernet module to the other on partner chassis, it will cause "Duplicate IP" error.

twice in one day!

raise_thread.jpg