Rockwell Software Won't Open

MarkNightingale

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Guys,

I have got a small problem with my Rockwell Software (again)!!!!!

Basically I can't get anything to open. I have tried opening RS Logix 5000, and I get the splash screen but then nothing.

I have tried opening RS Linx, and I get the splash screen but then nothing.

I have also tried opening FactoryTalk studio, and then I get nothing at all, no splash, nothing.

I have opened my task manager and all processes are showing as running, but I'm not quite sure whose computer they are running on, because they sure as hell aren't running on mine.

I have attached a screen grab of the task manager window.

Cheers

Mark

Rockwell.jpg

I haven't installed or un-installed and software or packages, and i haven't updated anything.

Yesterday it worked, and today it doesn't.

Good old Rockwell.

Cheers

Mark

Any chance you working on a computer with an additional montior yesterday, and today you're only on one screen? In the past I've seen Rockwell not handle it well when you transition from an extended desktop to a single screen.

No I haven't used any additional monitors. I too have seen that and holding down CTRL and SHIFT while opening the software sorts that issue out.

Anyways I have just come back from my dinner and all instances are now open.

That means it has taken up to an hour (half an hour if my boss asks ;) ) to open RS Logix. Surely that can't be right, and it has never taken that long before.

Cheers

Mark

I believe it is an Activation issue...
Do you have the .lic files on the local machine or somewhere else on the LAN?

All of my activations are local to my machine.

Thinking about it the only thing that may have changed is installing Studio and FactoryTalk 7 on a VM, but I wouldn't have thought that would cause a problem, and I wouldn't be the only person to see it.

Cheers

Mark

Where is your FTAS installed, on the Host or within the Guest OS?
Are you using the same FTAS for both the RSL5K and FTVS?
When it comes to FTVS, I will always install it on its own VM together with the FTAS/.lic...this setup will generate the slimmest chance of "disturbing" any other applications...

The FTAS is on the host machine.

All of my activations for RSlogix500 V13 through V20 are on my host machine along with my activations for RSLinx and for FactoryTalk V6, and they reside in the default folder, and are tied to my hard drive.

Then on my guest machine I have the activations for Studio and FactoryTalk V7, which again are in the default folder tied to the hard drive.

Could that be where the problem is, having all activations tied to the same hard drive ID.

When I start Studio or FactoryTalk in the VM, it is almost instant.

Cheers

Mark

Having both FTVS 6 and 7 running on the same PC (albeit on different OSs) looks to me like looking for trouble...:D
One question comes to my mind though: Why do you need both FTVS revisions?

Basically time is tight for now and will be for a good few months so trying to find the time and the patience to change all of our FTVS programs from V6 and V5 to V7 is not looking like it will happen for a while so I was hoping they would play nice together on the same machine.

Surely having both versions would't mess with RSLogix though?

Cheers

Mark

I had this problem with Logix5000 a few months ago and if I remember correctly, I had to reinstall Factory Talk services platform. When talking with support, the giveaway to them was the instance of logix that was stuck at 8KB of memory.

edit: I see that it suddenly started working. Awesome...

Last edited:
I had this problem with Logix5000 a few months ago and if I remember correctly, I had to reinstall Factory Talk services platform. When talking with support, the giveaway to them was the instance of logix that was stuck at 8KB of memory.

Reinstall. That was not what I wanted to hear.

Cheers

Mark

I have Studio version 5.1 in a Windows XP VM. I have version 6 on Windows7. This is because, They changed the database in version 6 and you have to convert them to the new database if you use version 6 or newer.