FTView Studio SE 8.0 error (microsoft forms 2.0)

phuz

Upon restoring a backup file from a customer, I am unable to open a few graphics which have textboxes (VBA forms) on them. The popup shows this:

Unable to load ActiveX control for display XXXX.
cause: Microsoft Forms 2.0 Label: Newer file version of ActiveX control required.
cause: Microsoft Forms 2.0 Label: CAB file missing on the server:
http://localhost/RSViewActiveXControlSetup/FM20DLL.CAB

I asked the customer for their FM20.DLL file from the windows\system32 directory and registered it on my machine, but it did not help.

I can't even find this cab file anywhere. It is really supposed to exist?

You have to create the cab file yourself. There is a folder with everything you need.
C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ActiveX Control Setup
Is the path on a W7 machine.

If you are using a 64 bit W7 Make sure the FM20.dll files are placed in and registered...
C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder not the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

You will also have to reset the Intranet security settings in Internet Explorer to allow Unsigned ActiveXs.

The idea behind having seperate ActiveX cabs for different projects is good but Rockwell's implementation of it sucks eggs.

Last edited:
I did run the cabarc.exe n fm20dll.cab fm20.dll fm20enu.dll

And I reset the settings in IE, but when I opened the file and was prompted to install the activex control, I got a similar popup about, but this one referenced a problem with FM20DLL.CAB.

cause: Microsoft Forms 2.0 Label: Newer file version of ActiveX control required.
cause: Microsoft Forms 2.0 Label: Problem setting up ActiveX control(s) using file:

Do I need to create the cab file differently?

Last edited:
Our Solution

We faced this exact problem also. It appears that there is a conflict with updates made to two DLL files.

To resolve this issue we completed the following:

Retrieve FM20.DLL and FM20ENU.DLL from the RSView32 machine.
Copy to C:/Windows/System32 (May have to overwrite existing files).
Register the FM20.DLL using and elevated CMD and regsvr32 command.

Hope that helps!

Only for register.

Recently I faced the the same problem in Factory Talk View 9.0 running in a VM PlantPAx EWS Virtual Template 4.00 VL. After trying a lot of versions of
FM20.dll the 32 bit version 16.0.4266.1001 resolved the problem. I've downloaded this dll in this site https://pt.azdll.net/files/fm20-dll.html and past into C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Last edited:
I did run the cabarc.exe n fm20dll.cab fm20.dll fm20enu.dll

And I reset the settings in IE, but when I opened the file and was prompted to install the activex control, I got a similar popup about, but this one referenced a problem with FM20DLL.CAB.

cause: Microsoft Forms 2.0 Label: Problem setting up ActiveX control(s) using file:

Do I need to create the cab file differently?
Were you able to resolve this problem?