STEP 7 to TIA 15 conversion

chopin

Hello guys,

I have a step 7 project that is together with WinCC flexible 2008 and I need to convert it to TIA 15 SP1.

I would like to use the TIA built in tool to convert it.

Is it possible to convert jut the PLC part of it?
I guess I can convert the whole project (PLC + HMI) and then delete the HMI?

But then is it going to work? TIA 15 PLC and WinCC Flexible 2008?

what PLC/HMI do you have now, and what do you want to end up with in the project?

There are a million scenarios. Most of them are possible.

I have done it, from V5.5 + WinCC flexible 2008 to TIA Portal V13 SP1, then in turn to V14 and V15. I had warnings in the conversion, where I had to compile in STEP 7 and WinCC flexible before doing the conversion, and some warnings to deal with after.

I didn't do it direct to V15 or V15.1 yet, but I don't think anything would be radically different from converting to V13.

It is possible to connect an HMI in WinCC flexible to an S7-300 PLC in TIA Portal.

Note: I believe the lowest version of S7-300 CPU firmware possible for TIA Portal is V2.6. It's best to get your CPU part number and HMI part number and post them here, and I can check it out.

Last edited:
Are you keeping a S7-300 or converting to a 1200 or 1500? The newer platforms don't use the accumulator like the 300's do, most of the byte swapping for communication goes away.

Currently the project is on s7-300 with safety done is Step 7 5.5 SP1

Regarding HMI all I know for now it is WinCC flex2008. Can get the details if needs be.
The HMI hardware is not being upgraded so not sure if WinCC V15 would run on it.

The upgrade is for S1500 series probably 16 with safety

Hello guys,

I have a step 7 project that is together with WinCC flexible 2008 and I need to convert it to TIA 15 SP1.

I would like to use the TIA built in tool to convert it.

Is it possible to convert jut the PLC part of it?
I guess I can convert the whole project (PLC + HMI) and then delete the HMI?

But then is it going to work? TIA 15 PLC and WinCC Flexible 2008?

You should run built in tool and then follow all the issues pointed in the log file. For sure it won't work at first try, but so far I managed to convert all S7 projects I had to TIA Portal projects.

Great to hear that!

From what I remember motion is not convertible.
Is STL being converted or this has to be done manually since acumulator idea does not exist in TIA?

Great to hear that!

From what I remember motion is not convertible.
Is STL being converted or this has to be done manually since acumulator idea does not exist in TIA?

TIA Portal supports 300/400s. You'll convert and get a code which can run on 300/400s and then you'll have an issue if you change a PLC to 1200/1500s (especially 1200 which doesn't support STL at all).

Finally I have installed all the software and give it a go.

Does not look dramatically I guess. Although have not changed the PLC yet.

dws.jpg

So the reason for the upgrade is to change from S7-300 to S7-1500 at some point.
And for now you plan to migrate from Classic to TIA, but keeping the CPU at S7-300.

I would change in one go, from S7-300 with WinCC Flexible in STEP7 Classic, to S7-1500 with WinCC in TIA.

Definitely avoid WinCC Flexible with an S7-1500, even if it is kinda possible (*).
You dont write what the HMI is, but if it is a WinCC Flexible Advanced PC RT, then you can buy an upgrade license to get it on TIA.
If the HMI is a panel, but not a comfort panel, then it has to be replaced. Since you replace the PLC anyway definitely also repalce the HMI. Dont waste time with an old x77 panel. They dont last forever and spares are becoming prohibitively expensive (**).

*: Absolute addresses and no "optimized" DBs.

**: If you have a big multipanel (MP277 or MP377), then buy a new, better and much less expensive comfort panel, and sell of the old MP277/MP377. You will have money left over when you are done.

Last edited:
So the reason for the upgrade is to change from S7-300 to S7-1500 at some point.
And for now you plan to migrate from Classic to TIA, but keeping the CPU at S7-300.

It is being done at one go. Replacing to S7-1500 and upgrade to TIA.

The reason for asking about HMI is I was told it was not quoted. Only PLC upgrade was. And the lack of information is due to that I was just given a zip file and told to migrate PLC program. No site visit. No drawings. Nothing :)

Typical though

I have checked HWconfig but there is no HMI panel or PC on the network.

It's WinCC flexible Runtime - which is a computer-based HMI. It should be a fairly straight-forward conversion to TIA Portal (WinCC Advanced RT). I did several of these conversions.

For the license upgrade, you should take a look in the License Manager on the HMI computer to see how many tags the license is.

Thanks that is useful.

I have completed first stage. The project has converted to TIA.

The second step is to convert the S300 to S1500
So doing that I get the following

11.jpg 22.jpg