You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Unread September 10th, 2019, 08:38 PM   #1
multivits
Australia

Compare PLC program function

Hi Forum,
I was wondering if there are PLC IDEs which have a function which allows 2 PLC programs (in either ladder code or compiled) to be compared to each other?

We are making some minor changes to a PLC ladder logic and want to do a compare as a regression test, i.e. to check that we haven't inadvertently altered other parts of the PLC code which are intended to remain the same.

TIA

Multivits
Unread September 10th, 2019, 10:40 PM   #2
kallileo
Greece

You can compare two projects in Codesys and consequently in most Codesys based IDEs.

https://help.codesys.com/api-content...oject_compare/
Unread September 10th, 2019, 10:50 PM   #3
sigmadelta
Canada

Which PLC Software? Which PLC hardware?
System Upgrades & Conversions
------------------------
Visit: contrologica.com
Email: info@contrologica.com
Unread September 11th, 2019, 05:11 PM   #4
multivits
Australia

Thanks for the replies,

It was a general question since we have various makes of PLC onsite and this compare utility will need to be used as part of regression testing for compliance and Good Engineering Practices when introducing changes
Unread September 12th, 2019, 04:03 AM   #5
mk42
United States

TIA Portal (Siemens) has built in functions to allow for comparison between either the online and offline versions of the PLC project, or two different offline projects.

Two third party companies, MDT and VersionDog, provide version control software that could be useful, and support many brands. One of the relevant features is that it compares the active code in the PLC to whatever was most recently checked in, which allows the detection of unauthorized changes or code that hasn't been properly archived and therefore could be "lost".
Unread September 12th, 2019, 04:36 AM   #6
parky
United Kingdom

Most of the well known makes of IDE have very good compare functions, some better than others, however if you have two PLC's with same code & modify 1 in some PLC's the comparison can be difficult because a ladder program that has an added instruction say in the first few lines will show that from that point to the end will show differences. A structured one could compare blocks so only show the blocks that have changed.
An example is say An FX2N PLC, The compiled code is one long list of instructions so adding one in say rung 10 of a 200 rung program would show as all different from line 10 to the end (with the exception of lines although different may contain the same instructions).
Example in STL
1: LD M8000
2: CMP < K1 D0
3: SET M2
4: LD M2
5: AND M3
6: AND NOT M4
7: OUT M5
8: END
If you add one instruction i.e. M20
2: AND M20 //Here, then all the code below will show as different
3: CMP < K1 D0 ///
4: SET M2
5: LD M2
6: AND M3
7: AND NOT M4
8: OUT M5
9: END
i.e. all steps from 2 do not match the original code.
This is because in normal ladder (not structured programs) the comparison is done by comparing the binary code at each address.
In Siemens the blocks are compared as separate entities so only shows differences in each block.
Unread September 12th, 2019, 06:10 AM   #7
multivits
Australia

Thanks, mk42 and Parky, both very useful info and will take on board.
Unread September 12th, 2019, 11:59 AM   #8
Lare
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post
Most of the well known makes of IDE have very good compare functions, some better than others, however if you have two PLC's with same code & modify 1 in some PLC's the comparison can be difficult because a ladder program that has an added instruction say in the first few lines will show that from that point to the end will show differences. A structured one could compare blocks so only show the blocks that have changed.
An example is say An FX2N PLC, The compiled code is one long list of instructions so adding one in say rung 10 of a 200 rung program would show as all different from line 10 to the end (with the exception of lines although different may contain the same instructions).
Example in STL
2: CMP < K1 D0
3: SET M2
4: LD M2
5: AND M3
6: AND NOT M4
7: OUT M5
8: END
If you add one instruction i.e. M20
2: AND M20 //Here, then all the code below will show as different
3: CMP < K1 D0 ///
4: SET M2
5: LD M2
6: AND M3
7: AND NOT M4
8: OUT M5
9: END
i.e. all steps from 2 do not match the original code.
This is because in normal ladder (not structured programs) the comparison is done by comparing the binary code at each address.
In Siemens the blocks are compared as separate entities so only shows differences in each block.

If you have STL codes of 2 different versions, you can use also use other programs for comparing.

Winmerge for example can show differs from 2 txt files, even that if there is added lines. Have used sometimes for ST.

https://winmerge.org/
Unread September 12th, 2019, 09:07 PM   #9
mk42
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lare View Post
Winmerge for example can show differs from 2 txt files, even that if there is added lines. Have used sometimes for ST.

Love WinMerge. I don't need it often, but when i need it I NEED IT.
Unread September 15th, 2019, 11:40 AM   #10
LadderLogic
United States

I am wondering if there is a PLC system that automatically provides a checksum for the program in it.

I know all safety PLCs do that but am not aware of a regular one.
Unread September 17th, 2019, 08:32 AM   #11
mk42
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadderLogic View Post
I am wondering if there is a PLC system that automatically provides a checksum for the program in it.

I know all safety PLCs do that but am not aware of a regular one.

The S7-1200 & S7-1500 from Siemens both support this, although it is a relatively recent feature. Safety checksums have been possibly for years, but recently, you can view the standard code checksum in either the CPU properties or via an instruction (Get_Checksum). If you use the built in compare tool, it will also show you detailed checksums for the block code, comments, etc, as part of the comparison.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum