You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!


 
 
plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.
 
Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!


Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread September 15th, 2019, 02:19 PM   #1
Slwagner73
Supporting Member
United States

Slwagner73 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Bellevue, MI
Posts: 20
PanelView Firmware

Help!


We have a PanelView that is running Firmware Version 5.10, and even though we have a TeleConnect contract with A-B, I cannot find a firmware update that will work.


I was wondering if there was anyway to find am update that will work.


We need to change the .mer file and it will not let me do so with the current versions I am running.


I have all the newest patches installed, and still no luck.


It keeps telling me that it does not support the CompactLogix PLC we are updating to.
  Reply With Quote
Unread September 15th, 2019, 05:19 PM   #2
sparkie
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

sparkie is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: KS
Posts: 1,042
You need to post the catalog number of the Panelview and of the CLX processor in order to get any kind of meaningful help. Firmware revisions of both couldn't hurt either.
  Reply With Quote
Unread September 15th, 2019, 10:02 PM   #3
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Ken Roach is online now
 
Ken Roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 14,897
A PanelView Plus with the hardware to support version 5.10 firmware won't support any higher firmware revisions (6 or later).

You can generally create a PV+ runtime for any older firmware revision, no matter what version of FactoryTalk View Studio you're running.

I've had very good luck manually adding a 1769-L35E to the communication schema in place of a newer ControlLogix or CompactLogix that wasn't supported by the network device list in an older version of RSLinx Enterprise.
  Reply With Quote
Unread October 13th, 2019, 12:31 PM   #4
Slwagner73
Supporting Member
United States

Slwagner73 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Bellevue, MI
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Roach View Post
A PanelView Plus with the hardware to support version 5.10 firmware won't support any higher firmware revisions (6 or later).

You can generally create a PV+ runtime for any older firmware revision, no matter what version of FactoryTalk View Studio you're running.

I've had very good luck manually adding a 1769-L35E to the communication schema in place of a newer ControlLogix or CompactLogix that wasn't supported by the network device list in an older version of RSLinx Enterprise.



Okay Ken:

So, we have a PV+ that we are trying to retask, (it worked with the old processor) but we are updating the PLC to a 1769-L27ERM. The firmware we have now is 5.10, and much as you said, it will not allow me to update it so that it will work with that processor. Cannot update the version any higher.
I create a Runtime App. for the version I have, but it fails due to the processor. (Not supported buy this version, during the creation of a RunTime App.)
You say you can manually add it, so I am gonna ask...HOW?


Thanks:
Scott


This is a 2711P-RDT10C, and a 1769-L27ERM-QBFC1B

Last edited by Slwagner73; October 13th, 2019 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Added info
  Reply With Quote
Unread October 13th, 2019, 03:53 PM   #5
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Ken Roach is online now
 
Ken Roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 14,897
I will try to walk through this in detail because I agree that it's not obvious and there are some rabbit holes you can step in.

In the RSLinx Enterprise configuration (called FactoryTalk Linx in the FTView 11 that I have installed), select the Runtime tab. I recommend that you delete any shortcuts other than the one pointing to this controller.

In the network schema on the right, right-click on the Ethernet driver and select Add Device.

In the dialog box, expand the EtherNetIP Devices folder, then save time by typing "1769-L35E" into the search field and click "Find Device".

Select the "Ethernet Bridge (1769-L35E), Major Revision 20" object and click OK.

I recommend re-naming the object "L27_Placeholder_Enet" or similar. Type in the IP address. Leave the "Slot" number as 3.

That will result in an object in the schema that shows the "daughtercard" and the CompactLogix backplane. Select the backplane and right-click again to Add Device.

Scroll down or Find Device until you find the "1769-L35E/A, CompactLogix L35E Processor, Major Revision 20".

Select that, and re-name it "L27_Placeholder_CPU" or similar. Leave the "Slot" number as 0.

Once you have the Shortcut highlighted on the left, and that CPU object highlighted on the right, click the "Apply" button at the top to associate them with one another. There's an "OK" button on the lower right of the RSLinx Enterprise window to save the whole schema into the project before you close the window.


This method is described in the RA Knowledgebase as Answer ID # 476489

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp....il/a_id/476489

A note that I experienced; when you do this for the first time, RSLinx Enterprise correctly suggests Slot 3 for the Ethernet daughtercard object and Slot 0 for the CPU. Those aren't real physical locations, just addresses in a virtual object that emulates a Logix family backplane. If you delete the Controller object and go back to try again, the software incorrectly increments the default slot number. This can mess you up if you're not familiar with the inner workings of the backplane object.

The solid and stable firmware for that generation of PanelView Plus is 5.10.08. I stick with that exact firmware revision for the terminals I have installed because it seems to work well with the "L35E" shortcut trick, and because it contains a specific bug fix that affects the ControlNet daughtercard.

Last edited by Ken Roach; October 13th, 2019 at 03:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Unread October 13th, 2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Ken Roach is online now
 
Ken Roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 14,897
A picture is worth a few words:
Attached Images
File Type: png L27_Shortcut.PNG (11.2 KB, 39 views)
  Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:22 AM   #7
Geospark
Lifetime Supporting Member
Ireland

Geospark is offline
 
Geospark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kildare
Posts: 2,690
If we could pause for a moment, please?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slwagner73
...We have a PanelView that is running Firmware Version 5.10...It keeps telling me that it does not support the CompactLogix PLC we are updating to...
And it always will (I'll explain in a minute).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slwagner73
we have a PV+...we are updating the PLC to a 1769-L27ERM. The firmware we have now is 5.10...
5.10.xx <<< This is important here - what is the sub-minor revision (.xx)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slwagner73
...it will not allow me to update it so that it will work with that processor. Cannot update the version any higher...
Whether this is true or not will depend on the answer to that last question above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slwagner73
...I create a Runtime App. for the version I have, but it fails due to the processor. (Not supported buy this version, during the creation of a RunTime App.)...
OK, I'll flesh out where I'm going with this...

My reading of this so far is that you have added a newer 5370 CompactLogix controller as the shortcut in a 5.10 application and while creating the MER application file you are receiving a specific message indicating that the shortcut PLC might not be compatible, if the terminal has not been patched, correct?

If so, then this message is always embedded in the Validation Results text file once a 5.10 application's shortcut is to any of the newer controllers which support firmware revision 20 or higher. This is because, for PanelView Plus 5.10.xx firmware revisions, there is a specific revision which introduced native support for these newer controllers. If your PanelView Plus terminal is running firmware revision 5.10.08 or higher, then the newer controllers will be supported. Anything lower and they are not.

However, because all that FactoryTalk View Studio knows is you are creating a "5.10" application with a newer controller, it does not know which specific 5.10.xx firmware revision will be running on the target HMI terminal. Therefore, it defaults to always warning you that there "might" be an incompatibility at runtime. You must know the above, and determine if the terminal's firmware is at or above the supported revision of 5.10.08. If the terminal is running firmware revision 5.10.06, for instance, then the "might" in the warning message becomes "will". If the terminal is running firmware revision 5.10.08 or higher, then you can ignore the warning message and proceed to transfer the MER application to the terminal and it "should" successfully communicate with the newer controller.

A caveat to all this is the controller firmware revision being used...

The native support, added in firmware revision 5.10.08, was introduced for the newer controllers released at revision 20. However, a PanelView Plus terminal at 5.10.08 will not communicate natively with a controller at any firmware above revision 20. The PanelView Plus terminal must be flashed to firmware revision 5.10.16 (latest/last?) in order to add native support up to controller revision 24 maximum. Beyond that, the PanelView Plus terminals no longer natively support communications to these newer controllers.

Note: By "native" I mean you can select a newer controller as a shortcut in a 5.10 application, create the application while receiving the warning, ignore the warning, and use the application file successfully.

If using terminal firmware revision 5.10.08 and controller revisions higher than 20...

...or...

...if using terminal firmware revision 5.10.16 and controller revisions higher than 24...

...then you must implement the method Ken is describing.

So, what firmware revision the 1769-L27ERM is currently flashed to is also important here in deciding whether you can simply ignore the warning, or you must substitute the controller in the shortcut with an older supported model/revision. We could assume you might just have levitated towards the latest revision 32? But, in reality, the firmware revision that users tend to flash to a new controller is the current highest version of software they have installed and have been using, and that is not always the latest. So, if you were to say that you are still using RSLogix 5000 v20 highest, I would not be surprised. But also, as you have mentioned you have a TechConnect Contract, it is entirely possible you have downloaded the latest, or a quite late, version of Studio 5000?

Here are a couple of similar threads we've had on this before...

Panelview Plus 600 and 1769-L30ER

Panelview Plus 7 didnt work with compac Logix L24er

You can, of course, just simply ignore "me" here instead and proceed to create the "proxy" 1769-L3x shortcut, as Ken has kindly suggested, as it should also work. Especially if you cannot, or do not, want to flash the terminal's firmware, if it needed it, or, if the controller is too "new" a firmware revision and you do not want to backflash it (I would not be recommending this). That is why I only asked that we "pause" here, and not "stop". But if the terminal's and the controller's firmware are already at compatible revisions, natively speaking, then you need do nothing more than transfer the application file as is, and it should also work.

One more important thing to point out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slwagner73
...This is a 2711P-RDT10C...
The older PanelView Plus terminals are what are known as an "Assembled Terminal". As such, they are made up of one or more components, each having their own catalog number. Example: Display, Logic, Communications modules. However, when "Assembled", they are combined into one "Assembled Terminal" catalog number.

What you have listed for us is only the Display module catalog number - 2711P-RDT10C (1000 touch color display). This is a common mistake as the sticker on the back of the Display module is rather large and prominent, compared to the sticker on the back of the Logic module. It is the Logic module sticker you should refer to. On this sticker, you also have to be careful, as it contains both the Logic module catalog number...

Example: 2711P-RP (without flash/RAM memory, DC input), which is nearer the bottom of the sticker...

...and at the top, the Assembled Terminal catalog number...

Example: 2711P-T10C4D

Where...

2711P = Family: PanelView Plus

T10C = Display: Touch 1000 (10") color

4 = Communications: Ethernet, RS-232 & (2) USB ports

D = Supply: DC

As you have told us your terminal is running 5.10.xx firmware, it is perhaps not so critical here that we must know the Assembled catalog number for the PanelView Plus terminal.
But just in case, it is always better to provide it, and now you hopefully know how to?

Regards,
George
__________________
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men".

Last edited by Geospark; Yesterday at 08:28 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panelview 1000 Firmware stevensonjeff LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 4 April 26th, 2018 02:58 PM
Allen Bradley 1747-SDN Firmware upgrade issues vset LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 8 June 12th, 2017 07:16 AM
Compatability between FTView6, PanelView 600 with firmware 3.1 and PLC L24ERQBFC18 Eoghan LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 10 February 24th, 2014 07:34 AM
Panelview 1400E firmware upgrading Deer LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 3 January 11th, 2012 12:38 PM
A-B panelview firmware upgrade ahortor LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 4 June 26th, 2006 05:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.


.