Vertical text in Crimson 3.0

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
I think I about to ask the dumbest question I have ever asked but I have been pulling my hair out finding the answer, so here it goes:

Does anyone know how to rotate text in Crimson? I have a text box that has something like (SV-1001) and I want to rotate it 90 deg. I cant find a way to make that happen.

Thanks!!

I don't think text can be rotated in Crimson 3.0. I'm fairly certain that there are only a handful of primitive objects that can be rotated in the "Polygon and Stars" folder. The rotation property is located at the bottom of the figure tab of the object property. The only thing that I have been able to come up with is to make the text box wide enough for one character per line.

I know this is not what you were looking for, but it doesn't seem like Crimson offers any other option for this.

I emailed Red Lion Support and this is what they said:
You can't rotate the text vertical. However, what you can do is to use the multi-line capability to make vertical text. The trick here is the Pipe symbol | (shift-backslash), which is the special character for a new line. On a fixed text item, you just separate each character with the | and it goes to a new line. If it is a string tag in a data box, you also need to set the Field Type Layout property to Multiple Line.
If you put this in a text box:
T|E|X|T
You will see this on the screen:
T
E
X
T

This kind of worked but wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Seems like something that they just overlooked when developing Crimson. You would think that would be a very simple thing to add.

If the text is static, use Paint.net to create it, save it as a .png file (so that transparency will work right if needed) and drop it into Crimson. Be sure to set up the options to save the images with the database so they don't get "lost" if you move the application.

Paint.net makes quick work of creating nice enough images for an HMI with very little time invested learning how to use the tools.

www.getpaint.net

If you need the text to be dynamic with a limited number of choices you can use the animated image object to display up to 10 possibilities. If you need more than that, you could overlay them and use the conditional visibility. That becomes a Kludge, but still works well at runtime even if editing it is a pita.