PLC Training, where do I start??

Vaughn3727

I am currently a senior in a vocational school, for the past year I’ve been working on RSLogix and really found a passion for it. I want to become certified in it but I’m a little lost on how to start. Should I take a course specifically for PLC or should I take a mechatronics course that includes PLC? What’s my best choices for online courses? (Or if anyone reading lives near Pittsburgh, could you recommend a local school?) I could really use some guidance so any advice is appreciated

Welcome to the Forum!
If it were me, and I was starting over again, I would look at mechatronics, or a 2 year engineering tech degree. The degrees will get you a foot in the door at many companies. PLC specific classes would also be good for you, but try to combine the class work with hands on work by getting a small inexpensive PLC to work with at home. I'll let other weigh in on what trainers they think are most appropriate. It appears that you are in the USA, so I'd make your primary focus Ladder Logic, but Structure Text,and Function Block are common enough that you will want a basic understanding of those as well.
One thing to keep in mind is that there are very few jobs that are strictly PLC work. Most jobs in the field require other skills, and the PLC skills will just be a kicker that can help you advance. I do a fair amount of PLC work, but my primary job is electrical maintenance. I get the PLC work because I know, to an extent, how to do it, but without having a strong electrical background, and decent mechanical skills, I would have never gotten an interview, let alone a chance to play programmer here. The point I'm trying to make is that there are many roads that will lead you to a career that includes PLC programming. Maintenance, robotics, automation, will all get you time an opportunity to do some programming, but having the schooling will make getting that first job a lot easier.

Good luck with your career. If you stick to it and put in the work needed to be successful, you should have no trouble having a long and rewarding career.

Bubba.

I would steer away from those classes for a couple of reasons:

- They are condensed information and it takes a certain level of knowledge to get benefit from them. The entry level ones are generally something you can pick up off a manual.

- You need to practice whatever new thing you learnt. If you are still in school this may not be easy, particularly with Rockwell PLC's and their extremely basic and expensive simulator.

- Certiications can only go so far... If someone shows up and all they have is a certificate, it won't mean much. A certificate and experience will be far better.

In your position, I would probably look at mechatronics with an inclusion of PLC's. Just knowing PLC's won't get you far as in the end it's mostly a matter of translating English to code. The real value is in understanding how the systems work and with Robotics expanding as it has been, a mechatronics degree will put you in a really good position to understand whole systems instead of how a PLC works.

I would also highlight that there are different (and in my opinion and not to be debated) better brands than Rockwell. In the US, you should definitely understand Rockwell, but please try and learn other platforms too. I would pick up Codesys as it will allow you to practice all 5 IEC languages (again, can be of value in the future) for free and simulate in your own computer.

I want to become certified in it but I’m a little lost on how to start.

Learn as much as you can as you will never stop learning in this field because it keeps changing, try finding a local system integrator and getting a job with them... you will need to start at the bottom but you need to get in the door, then keep going to school at night, the more well rounded you are the better off you will be and the more valuable so the mechatronics is a good idea

Best of luck!

I am with willxfmr, Mechatronics is the perfect degree for this if you learn best with someone teaching you.

However, some of the brightest and best guys that I have met in the industry are self taught. So another solution would be to get an internship or an entry level I&E position and with every problem you face, learn it fully. Learn your instrumentation first and the rest will follow.

This is the education that got me into the field. Remember different things work for different people and I got these just to have something on paper but I was mainly self taught.

AAS Information Technology - Network Security
AAS Industrial Automation & Control
COP General Programming

I would also check with any local System Integrator and see if they are willing to hire you part time as a potential full time later on. They can't always afford to take the time to teach someone but it doesn't hurt to ask. You can talk to a local electrical distributor rep to see if they know of any SI's in your ares.